Navigation Icon (Blue) Disappeared

akadoublej

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I got it working without having to resort to an earlier version. I first had to pick one of the suggested routes in Google maps, then magically the blue navigation icon appeared.

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Exactly...I was wondering where in this post someone would point out that Google Maps IS the navigation program now. I always thought it odd that the two were not combined previously. The upgrade consolidates the two.

Soporose

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Medion E4002 - 4" screen - Android 4.1.1

With the updated Maps I couldn't see a way to select destination from my existing Contacts. Maybe I didn't look hard enough??? Anything that bypasses typing with those minuscule on-screen keyboard buttons is good for me. My hands ain't built for that.

Anyway, I chose to uninstall Updates, after which I was asked if I wanted to replace the current version with the factory version.

After agreeing to that offer the blue arrow reappeared, everything looks the way it used to, and I can again select destination from Contacts.

Just wish it would allow me to do stuff while it's getting location/GPS info, which sometimes can take a while. Any attempt to do something else while "Waiting for location" results in a dialog asking if you want to "Exit navigation?", And you only have two choices: Cancel or OK. PITA!

Soporose

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Medion E4002 - 4" screen - Android 4.1.1
Anyway, I chose to uninstall Updates, after which I was asked if I wanted to replace the current version with the factory version.

After agreeing to that offer the blue arrow reappeared, everything looks the way it used to, and I can again select destination from Contacts.

Unfortunately it keeps stuffing up again by repeating the update.

Any way to prevent that? Looked through settings and couldn't find anything.

tfamlus13

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I was so disappointed when my Navigation was gone, and happy to have it back. Now if I could find a way to stop automatic updates, I would be estatic

Arthur Todesco

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, I can't find the "Google Play" app on my Razr M. Any ideas where to go from here? BTW, does your method prevent updates to everything, or just Maps? And will it prevent important map updates?

Antonio Kilpatrick

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, most certainly. Read the below calmly and to the end and you'll be fine:

Root Of The Problem
No, the navigation icon didn?t just disappear. If you?ve recently updated the Maps app, you could expect this problem to happen. In fact, the Galaxy S3 units were not just the ones hit by this issue but all Android phones.

Navigation has always been a part of the Maps app; basically, it?s one app with two icons. Recent updates, however, removed the Navigation icon because it is now deeply integrated into the main application. So, when you applied the new update for Maps, the Navigation was also updated but its icon was removed.

Bringing Navigation Icon Back
There are two ways you can bring back the Navigation icon, in case you?re used to using it. The first would be to uninstall the Maps app.

1.Tap the Menu key from the home screen.
2.Tap Settings.
3.Touch More tab.
4.Tap Application Manager.
5.Swipe left to choose All tab.
6.Scroll to and tap Maps.
7.Tap the Uninstall button.
The second way to bring the blue arrow back is to uninstall the recent Maps update.

1.Tap the Menu key from the home screen.
2.Tap Settings.
3.Touch More tab.
4.Tap Application Manager.
5.Swipe left to choose All tab.
6.Scroll to and tap Maps.
7.Tap Uninstall Updates button.
That?s easy, right? But there?s a catch. The icon now looks a bit bigger with the Navigation app having totally different interface? again, that?s part of the update.

These two procedures are temporary fixes, obviously. The permanent solution is to accept that the Navigation icon doesn?t exist but it does not mean you can?t use it anymore. As I said earlier, it is now deeply integrated into the main app.

Using Navigation Inside Maps
Here?s how you could use that same old Navigation application.

1.Launch Maps.
2.Search for your destination.
3.Tap the car icon.
4.Tap the card for directions.
5.Tap the blue arrow for voice directions.
Unless you could learn to use the new application, you would always find it difficult to get over the disappearance of the Navigation icon on Galaxy S3.

Soporose

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Using Navigation Inside Maps
Here?s how you could use that same old Navigation application.

1.Launch Maps.
2.Search for your destination.
3.Tap the car icon.
4.Tap the card for directions.
5.Tap the blue arrow for voice directions.
Unless you could learn to use the new application, you would always find it difficult to get over the disappearance of the Navigation icon on Galaxy S3.
I take issue with #2.

How do you "Search for your destination"? As far as I can see the only way is to type the destination in, and that's a significant inconvenience if it's the only way and you have to do it every time.

With the old Navigation version I could very quickly select a destination from my Contacts -- no typing required.

If there is a way to select a destination from Contacts with the new Maps, please advise.

Arthur Todesco

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I take issue with #2.

How do you "Search for your destination"? As far as I can see the only way is to type the destination in, and that's a significant inconvenience if it's the only way and you have to do it every time.

With the old Navigation version I could very quickly select a destination from my Contacts -- no typing required.

If there is a way to select a destination from Contacts with the new Maps, please advise.

Riddle me this: I just used the Maps icon, and then put in a known address via a voice command. It knew what I said, but said it doesn't know that address. I then uninstalled the updates, rolled back to factory install, hit the navigation icon, hit the microphone, spoke the same address, found it, no problem, navigation complete. What are they trying to do? This is just crazy!

jewoodell

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
After the Google Maps update Navigator is NO LONGER a "stand alone" app on your phone.
To access Navigator as you know it, use Google Maps:
Enter the destination
When the results come up, click on the "car icon" of the route you want to take.
You will get a google map route.
THEN, click the blue Navigator Arrow and the map switches over to the Navigator view you are used to seeing.
A few more steps (ugh), but eventually you will get the interface you are used to.

I TRIED uninstalling the google maps update which DOES put Navigator back as it was, but eventually google maps will update again and wipe out this process.
Looks like the only thing to do is to adjust to the new change and access Navigator via Google Maps ap.

Hope that helps!

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I take issue with #2.

Open contacts and open contact you want then click on the address.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Soporose

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Open contacts and open contact you want then click on the address.

Thanks for that. I wasn't aware that Contacts was that smart!

So the procedure seems to be:

1. Launch contacts.

2. Select desired Contact from list.

3. Scroll to the address field for that contact and tap it.

4. Tap "Get Directions" ribbon at the bottom of the screen.

5. Tap the car icon.

6. Tap "Navigation" on the ribbon at the bottom of the screen.

7. Navigation opens up with the route to the destination.

It's a long-winded process compared to the old blue arrow, but at least it works.

Again, thanks for the tip.

jokeyhaha

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Are starred places still accessible with the new maps? I usually go on my home pc and look up a list of locations and star them while on my pc. With the old Nav, I could pull up a list of my starred locations and they'd simply be listed. Is that still possible?

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Are starred places still accessible with the new maps? I usually go on my home pc and look up a list of locations and star them while on my pc. With the old Nav, I could pull up a list of my starred locations and they'd simply be listed. Is that still possible?

Yes, open maps, click the "person" the icon to the right of the search bar and you should see your saved places. As far as I know you are not able to access your "My Maps" but you can access your starred places.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

PACKER BACKER

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks man, i went through two phones not even thinking about when n why it would stop, but sure enough i removed google maps and all other updates from today n my blue arrow is back!!! Thanks bro!!!:d

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown