task killer for froyo?

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
what task killers work with 2.2? Dont give me the crap about how they are pointless because there not. I like closing apps when I'm done and hate opening an app like the browser that starts where I left off. Say I'm watching a flash video on browser then hit home, when I click browser again that video starts. Easier to kill it than to go back home when I'm done.

dante501

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
There are 2 and the only once since 2.20 you can't really us task killers it's not allowed to close developers apps. Basically the only 2 that work is (froyo task killer by s.tachinaba and froyo task killer by ayal team.) Right now that's all and all other task killers will close your apps but they will restart shortly after it. And those 2 task killers basically the same like going in the settings and closing running apps. Sorry but since froyo it doesn't work anymore and there is no hack out there either. That's all there is. That the best for you. I use it it works well.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Most of the troubles folks have come from using these things. Easiest way to happy Android life is just don't do it.

DevilInPgh

May 12, 2010
Visit site
You really don't need a task killer in Froyo (yeah, I know, I'd rather not say that). That being said, you do want something to keep an eye on any possible CPU-hogging processes. That's where Watchdog and CPU Usage come in to play. Watchdog will keep an eye on any processes that cross a threshold you set up for CPU usage and alert you about those, allowing you to close those down. However, there are some processes that Watchdog may not show (such as Mediaserver, which is the backend of numerous media apps such as Stitcher and Listen). CPU Usage alerts you of these backend processes, but I wouldn't run that app all the time, only if you're getting sluggish performance with any app that uses a backend.

jedwardmiller

May 16, 2010
Visit site
No, ATK is not FroYo compatible. It will run, it will stop a program (sometimes) but the program will restart. FroYo only allows closing programs through its own settings manager.

Sent from the monkey on Steve Jobs' back!

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not looking for a task killer to manage my memory but I do want one to close apps when I'm done, I hate opening an app and being where I left off I want to start new. Like when opening the browser I wanna see my home page, opening a game I don't wanda be where I left off, opening maps don't wanna be where I was before I turned of my gps, get it. So there is a place for task killers.

You really don't need a task killer in Froyo (yeah, I know, I'd rather not say that). That being said, you do want something to keep an eye on any possible CPU-hogging processes. That's where Watchdog and CPU Usage come in to play. Watchdog will keep an eye on any processes that cross a threshold you set up for CPU usage and alert you about those, allowing you to close those down. However, there are some processes that Watchdog may not show (such as Mediaserver, which is the backend of numerous media apps such as Stitcher and Listen). CPU Usage alerts you of these backend processes, but I wouldn't run that app all the time, only if you're getting sluggish performance with any app that uses a backend.

BrickAlley

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Before 2.2 I would just open a task killer and kill a misbehaving app, but that wasn't an option yesterday when Fandango decided to have a major meltdown on my EVO. We're all learning as we go along, but I must admit I wasn't sure what to do in order to kill that app yesterday. I finally just shut the phone down when I got in the theater, What should have been my proper course of action in killing the app?

After thinking about it a few seconds I had it figured out right after I posted the question, but thanks anyway. LOL

Last edited:

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Task Killers are pretty unnecessary these days. I would love a proper, built-in multi-tasking manager along the lines of Palm Pre in Android, but not necessarily just for closing apps, but for simple visual app switching too.

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't think anyone really read some of these replys. Don't need it for system or memory reason.

As soon as you see task killer you have preb programmed response

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
If you need it to kill apps and not for memory management/mass killing of apps, then I recommend that you create a shortcut to "Manage Applications" (you will find it under Shortcut popup menu > Settings).

I use that method where taping that shortcut takes you to the list of all downloaded apps. Tap the one you want > Force close. Problem solved for me and hopefully for you :)

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
If you need it to kill apps and not for memory management/mass killing of apps, then I recommend that you create a shortcut to "Manage Applications" (you will find it under Shortcut popup menu > Settings).

I use that method where taping that shortcut takes you to the list of all downloaded apps. Tap the one you want > Force close. Problem solved for me and hopefully for you :)

Ill try this thanks but love the one button ease.

The back button sucks because of your browsing takes a long time

BrickAlley

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I recommend that you create a shortcut to "Manage Applications" (you will find it under Shortcut popup menu > Settings).

Thanks for sharing that info, I wasn't aware that you could make a custom shortcut like that. I have no need to make the very one you are talking about, but that may come in very handy some other time!