Tasker - Let's Contribute Profiles

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
After playing around it for a bit, and composing my own (with a lot of help from the web), I figured it might be cool (assuming others are interested and are using the app) to have a thread for submitting/sharing Tasker profiles. (I saw one of these threads for Llama, another app similar to Tasker.) For those not in the know, Tasker is an Android app that allows you to set up profiles/tasks that will run based on certain conditions - e.g., "when I arrive at home, I want my phone to switch on wifi, switch off bluetooth...", etc.

Tasker is a fantastic app, but IMO isn't all that intuitive for the casual user; so with this thread, maybe a collective list of tasks/profiles can be shared that will help broaden the capabilities of users' devices and allow them to get more out of them. Seeing as how I'm rambling on and on about it, I'll kick things off. :) (Feel free to copy my outline if it makes it easier to share your personal profiles.) Hope this all proves useful to someone, and hope others contribute their unique profiles as well! Thanks!

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Profile Name: Office Profile
Description: I use this profile so that when I arrive at work, the phone knows it (by using cell towers) and a) lowers my screen brightness by half, b) places the phone in Silent Mode, and c) switches WiFi off. a) and c) help with the battery life, and b) keeps any noisy calls from coming through and disturbing the rest of the cube monkeys.

Steps:
1) Tap the "+" to create a new Context (i.e., a condition that will determine whether or not the profile is active), and choose the "State" option
2) On the next screen, choose the "Phone" State Category
3) On the next screen, choose the "Cell Near" Phone State. (NOTE: You'll have to be at your office [or pretty close] when specifying the "Cell Near" state, since Tasker will determine your cell tower location there. And of course you can't be in Airplane mode or anything like that...)
4) On the next screen, tap the "Scan" button to determine your cell tower location. Once the text area is populated with the location (e.g., GSM:12345.456789457 / 8 <), tap the "Stop" button.
5) Tap the back arrow at the top left of the screen to go back a screen. (To the right of the arrow will be the words "State Edit" with "Cell Near" underneath it.)
6) On this next screen, a dialog box will be open to create a new task ("Enter Task" window title). Choose the "+" next to "New Task". When prompted, enter a name for the task (e.g., "Work Arrive") and tap the checkbox next to the text area.
7) The screen that shows next is the "Task Edit" screen. Tap the "+" to create a new Action for the task.
8) On the next screen, choose the "Audio" Action Category.
9) On the next screen, choose the "Silent Mode" Audio Action.
10) On the next screen, tap the "Off" option under the "Mode" header to see all options available, and tap the "On" option.
11) Tap the back arrow at the top left of the screen to go back to the "Task Edit" screen. The "Silent Mode" action should be displayed.
12) Repeat steps 7 & 8 and choose the "Display" Action Category.
13) On the next screen, choose the "Display Brightness" Display Action.
14) On the next screen, slide the "Level" meter to whatever brightness level you desire (the lower the number, the dimmer the display).
15) Tap the back arrow at the top left of the screen to go back to the "Task Edit" screen. The "Display Brightness" action should be displayed.
16) Repeat steps 7 & 8 and choose the "Net" Action Category.
17) On the next screen, choose the "Net" Action.
18) On the next screen, the "Off" option under the "Set" header should be selected.
19) Tap the back arrow at the top left of the screen to go back to the "Task Edit" screen. The "WiFi" action should be displayed.
20) Tap the back arrow at the top left of the screen to go back to the Tasker Profiles display. The profile should be listed with a crazy-long name like "Cell Near ..." and directly underneath it the same name with a right arrow and the name of the task just added ("Work Arrive").
21) Tap and hold your finger on the duplicate name underneath to pull up the menu to "Add", "Delete", or "Name" the item. Choose "Name" and type in a name (e.g., "Work Mode") and tap the checkbox. Both the header profile and the "Context" item underneath will have the same name. (To rename the profile to something different, tap and hold the profile name, and tap the "A" at the top of the screen. Enter a desired name and tap the checkbox to save it.)

ALMOST DONE... :)
Now that the profile knows what to do when you arrive at work, now it needs to be told what to do when you leave...

22) Tap the profile name to expand it (if not already), and tap and hold your finger on the "Work Arrive" task.
23) On the dialog box that appears, choose "Add Exit Task", and then the option for "New Task". Enter a desired name for the task (e.g., "Work Depart") and tap the checkbox.
24) Refer to steps 7 through 19 to add almost-identical tasks as those created in those steps, except this time you will choose the opposite values for the settings (i.e., for the Wifi task, you'll choose "On"; for the Silent Mode task, you'll choose "Off"; for the Display Brightness task, you'll choose a large number to increase brightness). Use the back arrow to get back to the main Profiles screen, make sure the Off/On toggle next to the Profile Name is set to "On", and that's it - Tasker will auto-adjust the settings specified as you arrive at, and leave, your office!

Last edited:

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
(For the next profiles, I won't go into as excrutiating detail as above but will instead just point out the Contexts, Tasks, and Actions I used to make them work.)

Profile Name: Home Location
Description: Tasker to-do when I arrive home; This profile switches Wifi on when I arrive home (i.e., outside of the house, pulling into the garage, etc.), and switches it off when I leave.
Context: "State"
State Category: "Phone"
Phone State: "Cell Near" (this was set up while at home, so the cell towers captured the correct location)
Normal Task:
- Action Category: "Net"
- "Net" Action: "Wifi"
- Set to: "On"
Exit Task(s):
- Set to: "Off"

Profile Name: Secure Wifi - Home
Description: Tasker to-do after I've arrived home; This profile automagically disables my pincode lock once I'm home and connected to my wifi network, and resets it once I leave the network. (Wifi connectivity happens through the standard Network capability of Android. Once you log into a network, it remembers it when nearby and tries to connect. So nothing to do in Tasker to bother with regarding that.) NOTE: This profile requires that you have the "Secure Settings" plugin for Tasker installed.
State Category: "Net"
Phone State: "Wifi Connected" (this was set up while at home and connected to my personal network, obviously)
Normal Task (to unlock the pincode):
- Action Category: "Plugin"
- "Plugin" Action: "Secure Settings"
- Tap "Edit" next to "Configuration"
- Locate/Tap "Password/Pin" under "Dev Admin Actions"
- Check "Device Admin Enabled"
- Tap "Disk" icon on bottom right of screen to save (the screen will then show "Clear Password" under "Configuration")
Exit Task(s) (to re-lock the passcode !!BE CAREFUL AND GET THIS RIGHT - NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PINCODE NOT BEING ENTERED CORRECTLY AND YOU ACCIDENTALLY LOCKING YOUR PHONE!!):
- Tap the "Disabled" button to change it to "Enabled"; a "Password" text area and "Confirm Password" text area will appear, along with a radio button for "Password" and one for "Pin Code"
- Choose whichever radio button corresponds to how you lock your phone
- Enter and re-enter the password or pin code to set and confirm it
- Tap "Disk" icon on bottom right of screen to save (the screen will then show "Set Pin" [or "Set Password"] under "Configuration")

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Well it's quiet here, so I guess it's up to me to make a little bit of noise. Here's another profile for those interested (which I assume is maybe more than a few judging from the views). :)

Profile Name: In the Car - Read back texts
Description: This one reads any new SMS text msgs I receive while in the car (which is determined by both receiving a new text, and being connected to the car's bluetooth). (NOTE: This profile has two Contexts that work together.)
Context #1: "Event"
"Event" Category: "Phone"
"Phone" State: "Received Text" (Type: "Any", Sender [left blank])
Context #2: "State"
"State" Category: "Net"
"Net" State: "Bluetooth Connected" (this context was added while in the car so that for "Name", performing a search - by tapping the magnifying glass next to it - would discover my car's bluetooth)
Task (will contain 2 actions):
- Action #1 Category: "Task"
- "Task" Action: "Wait"
- Under "Seconds", enter 5 (this enables a 5-sec delay between receiving the text, and the profile actually reading it)
- Action #2 Category: "Misc"
- "Misc" Action: "Say"
- Text option => "%SMSRF sent the following text: %SMSRB" (you can customize the value as you choose, but %SMSRF represents whom sent the text, and %SMSRB the body of the text)
- Engine:Voice option should be "default:default"
- Stream option should be "Media"
- (All other options left as is)

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a lot of profiles. Nothing too elaborate or exciting. Pretty basic. I like to use Tasker to trigger based on calendar events. I live in tornado alley though, so one of my favorite profiles is set so that whenever I receive a severe weather text from the local TV station, Tasker automatically launches my favorite radar app as well as a scanner radio app tuned to the local storm chaser frequency. Now if I can just figure out how to get tasks where I'm asking the phone to "say" something based on a time or other trigger, it will still respect the sound profile. In other words I want silent mode to trump the audio. Last thing I need is to be sitting in church on Sunday and have Grace, the SVOX voice of my phone, pipe up and say "How can I help you, awesome master!"

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Very cool! And regarding the Say action and the sound profile taking precedence over it, can you not just in the Say action use the "If" criteria? In other words, "If %SILENT = off"? Maybe that'll get you what you're looking for without scaring the heck out of the church. lol

Cheers!

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
(For the next profiles, I won't go into as excrutiating detail as above but will instead just point out the Contexts, Tasks, and Actions I used to make them work.)

Profile Name: Home Location
Description: Tasker to-do when I arrive home; This profile switches Wifi on when I arrive home (i.e., outside of the house, pulling into the garage, etc.), and switches it off when I leave.
State Category: "Phone"
Phone State: "Cell Near" (this was set up while at home, so the cell towers captured the correct location)
Normal Task:
- Set to: "On"
Exit Task(s):
- Set to: "Off"

Profile Name: Secure Wifi - Home
Description: Tasker to-do after I've arrived home; This profile automagically disables my pincode lock once I'm home and connected to my wifi network, and resets it once I leave the network. (Wifi connectivity happens through the standard Network capability of Android. Once you log into a network, it remembers it when nearby and tries to connect. So nothing to do in Tasker to bother with regarding that.) NOTE: This profile requires that you have the "Secure Settings" plugin for Tasker installed.
State Category: "Net"
Phone State: "Wifi Connected" (this was set up while at home and connected to my personal network, obviously)
Normal Task (to unlock the pincode):
- Tap "Disk" icon on bottom right of screen to save (the screen will then show "Clear Password" under "Configuration")
Exit Task(s) (to re-lock the passcode !!BE CAREFUL AND GET THIS RIGHT - NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PINCODE NOT BEING ENTERED CORRECTLY AND YOU ACCIDENTALLY LOCKING YOUR PHONE!!):
- Tap the "Disabled" button to change it to "Enabled"; a "Password" text area and "Confirm Password" text area will appear, along with a radio button for "Password" and one for "Pin Code"
- Choose whichever radio button corresponds to how you lock your phone
- Enter and re-enter the password or pin code to set and confirm it
- Tap "Disk" icon on bottom right of screen to save (the screen will then show "Set Pin" [or "Set Password"] under "Configuration")

I believe I have done this correctly, however when I turn the screen off and hit the wake button, im still prompted to enter my pin. Any suggestions?

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh. it does it when the screen times out on its own. Good to know! I can still lock it by using the lock button. Def love this! Thanks for this!

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok...When i disable my wifi and let the screen time out, it still has the lockscreen disabled. When in the settings for leaving my wifi network you said to check the device admin box...Since the box was already checked from the action when on my wifi network, was checked..should this now be unchecked for when Im off my wifi?

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Ok...When i disable my wifi and let the screen time out, it still has the lockscreen disabled. When in the settings for leaving my wifi network you said to check the device admin box...Since the box was already checked from the action when on my wifi network, was checked..should this now be unchecked for when Im off my wifi?

I think the Device Admin box just tells the profile to allow the task permission to make an admin change. Did you do the rest of the steps - i.e., tap the "Disabled" button to switch it to "Enabled", etc.? I'm referring to the last steps of that profile btw.

Cheers!

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
First, thank you for the help. I did make sure that was checked. I have noticed that this works on any wifi network I am connected to. Ie) the gym, work etc. Can it be applied just to my home network?

Posted via Android Central App

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
First, thank you for the help. I did make sure that was checked. I have noticed that this works on any wifi network I am connected to. Ie) the gym, work etc. Can it be applied just to my home network?

np. In the instructions and the step where you choose the "Wi-Fi Connected" Phone State, in the "SSID" field, put the name of your home network's SSID - that should cause it to work just for that matching network. Or, in other words, tap the Context you chose for the profile, and put your personal network SSID in the field.

Cheers!

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
np. In the instructions and the step where you choose the "Wi-Fi Connected" Phone State, in the "SSID" field, put the name of your home network's SSID - that should cause it to work just for that matching network. Or, in other words, tap the Context you chose for the profile, and put your personal network SSID in the field.

Cheers!

Ahhh. Alright I will do that. Thank you!

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Ya.. It still doesn't work. What is your settings for your lockscreen? Does that matter? I have mine to lock after 1 minute of not being used.

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Ya.. It still doesn't work. What is your settings for your lockscreen? Does that matter? I have mine to lock after 1 minute of not being used.

Mine is set to lock immediately if I'm not mistaken.

Cheers!

dt81

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
GOT IT!!! WOOHOO!! I dont think I read it in your initial post but you need to start/restart the profile...Going into the tasks you will see a play button on the bottom left...You need to click that for each task!

Daspoo

May 27, 2013
Visit site
GOT IT!!! WOOHOO!! I dont think I read it in your initial post but you need to start/restart the profile...Going into the tasks you will see a play button on the bottom left...You need to click that for each task!

Cool - nice work! I know you can press the play button to test a new task, but I don't think I needed to in order to set up the profile to run for the first time. Oh well, at least you got it working!

Cheers!

burdo

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. Im pretty new at this but I decided to make an Auto WIFI on/off project. Let me know what you think. I attached the project on this post.

It searches for cell towers area near your home or whatever location you'd like. Only If in this area (for less battery drain) it activates the wifi near function (for more precision). If you are close to your wifi it will activate WIFI and connect. After you leave it will turn off unless you are connected to some other wifi.
It wont disconnect from wifi even if the cell tower is not in range (due to lose of power, lose of signal or w/e). It wont keep looking for cell towers or wifi near networks when you are already connected (for less battery drain).

I also added a working airplane mode. Everything will be off during airplane mode and back on when not.

All you need to do to try it is import the xml project file and:
-Scan for cells in the "CELL NEAR" profile
-Add the SSID/s on the "WIFI NEAR TURN ON WIFI" profile (to add more than one just use "/" without the "". Ex: ssid1/ssid2/ssid3)

Attachments

• Auto_Wifi.prj.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 266

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar