ebook reader

Ripjames

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Just got my hero after having an iPhone and stanza. I looked for stanza in the market and couldnt find it. I was.wondering what ebook reader the fine folks here could recomend for me. Generally my ebooks are in Microsoft reader format and I convert them to what's needed from there, so file format is no biggie.

carbn14

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Just got my hero after having an iPhone and stanza. I looked for stanza in the market and couldnt find it. I was.wondering what ebook reader the fine folks here could recomend for me. Generally my ebooks are in Microsoft reader format and I convert them to what's needed from there, so file format is no biggie.

I was wondering the same thing.....

eARS

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I use eReader (ereader.com). They have great deals on best sellers. I originally used their reader on Palm, then on Windows mobile. They now have a beta version for Android which seems to work well.

Japultra

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have a question. Why is it every time I convert a document to .pdb, the eReader program asks me to enter in my credentials (name and credit card number)?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Have you ever thought of using audio books instead? So nice to be able to listen to a novel while driving, watching your kids ball practice, cutting the grass, cleaning out the garage, etc...

MsGadget13

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I've used eReader for years. Their DRM is much better than the Windows version. eReader used to have a better selection with more of the popular authors before Barnes and Noble bought them. It looks like Barnes and Noble are now focusing on Nook. Also if you buy from them be sure and back-up. Some of the books in your library seem to be there for a short time before they lose the rights.

I have eReader, Nook, Overdrive and Kindle on my Fascinate. I haven't bought a Kindle book yet. Overdrive is for library books. I normally have to wait a week or so for the most popular library books. I still have quite a few from eReader that I haven't read, so I'm good to wait unless there's something I just have to read right now. (Tick Tock) I bought it for Nook.

The Nook Android version is the smoothest reader of the ones I've tried. I don't like the Android eReader as well as the Windows Mobile version. Overdrive is OK. Library books are free for 21 days and no late fee.

I don't want a Nook it would be just one more thing to lug around. I've read books on a PDA or phone for 10+ years. The Android version is AWESOME.

Chondog

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I've tried them all and Kindle is the best. Easy to navigate their store for purchases and readability and page turning is simple and smooth. Love it.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I use Calibre to convert my books.
calibre - E-book management
-------------------------------------
"Calibre supports the conversion of many input formats to many output formats. It can convert every input format in the following list, to every output format.

Input Formats: CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, EPUB, FB2, HTML, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC**, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT

Output Formats: EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, PDB, PML, RB, PDF, SNB, TCR, TXT"
-------------------------------------

It handles your .LIT format. I personally convert everything to Epub format.

Everyone is different but I have been using Moon+ Reader+ for reading.
Moon+ Reader for Android - Your finger reader for best experience in Android

I used and recommended Aikido and iReader but I found this one to be better. There may be even better readers but so far Moon+ is the best I have found out of all the ones I tried. I am sure I may find another, better one in the future but this is the one for now.
It is very customizable and has the cool page turn effect etc... The Pro version has TTS.

If you are interested you can get it from appbrain here:
Download Moon+ Reader for your Android phone on AppBrain
chart

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm partial to the Kindle app, but I also have a Kindle, so it is easy to sync ebooks between the two. I've been reading .mobi formatted ebooks for years, even back on my Casio BE-300 and Dell Axim (pre-smartphone days).

I also use the eReader app from ereader.com, mostly for ebooks that I had purchased on fictionwise.com before B&N snatched them up.

MsGadget13

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like I need to check out the Kindle app. next.

One thing I miss about buying all my books from eReader is that their system didn't let me forget and buy the same book twice. :) Now I have to check my list to make sure I haven't bought it before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge