Tap and hold to unlock??

storm6610

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I will say this out of the gates, I am a Blackberry convert to Droid...I like a lot about the Droid but the one thing that I can't understand is why there is not an app or a setting that allows you to maybe tap and hold on the screen to "unlock" or "wake it up".

When you get a bunch of emails/texts etc during the day to always have to press the top and go through a ritual to get to your specified inbox...well, I am just surprised that for as much as Google/Android it burning up the path to become viable in the corporate world, that they haven't made it easier.

For all those who will flame me and say, "Gee sorry that your too lazy to press a button on the top of the phone..." I say, haha..yes yes, I understand that, but I am sure there are many people out there that understand what I am talking about.

If I was a dev, I would be all over an app like this, as it will sell a bunch of $$

capnhowdy18

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
There are a bunch of apps, you may or may not need to root for(Im not sure) that let you unlock with your volume buttons and what not.

I think the main reason they don't have the tap and hold is it would be to easy to unlock it in your pocket.(Rhyming unintentional).

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Try "No Lock" in the Market. Very simple app with only one function, to enable or disable the lock screen altogether. and free.

i dont think he's looking for the screen to stay on at all times

once it dims to black, he wants to be able to double tap the screen, or hold down until it comes up

this sounds like if it does happen, this could be a huge battery drain having the screen in constant ready to be touched

storm6610

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
brandonx1000 is right...I don't want it to stay on all the time..I just thought it would be nice if instead of hitting the top button to unlock you could put your finger on the screen and hold it there to "wake" the phone.

I understand the pocket issue, but that is when you would use a hard lock of sorts..

I am guessing when the screen is off it is off...and therefore no responsive to touch etc.

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I have to defend No Lock. It works great. Though it's not the screen tap the OP is looking for it is very useful for frequent texting and email. I quick tap of the camera button or the top button and the screen is on. It doesn't keep the screen on. It times out according to your settings.

It's a widget, so when you want to lock the screen for your pocket just tap the icon.

It does appear to disable SMSpopup. Due to the fact SMSpopup works with the lock screen to popup. I don't mind. Especially when frequently texting. I just leave Messanger open.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
No Lock interferes with the default alarm application - it more often than not prevents the alarm application from displaying a dismissal screen with 2.2 stock. Deleted it and no more problems.

Try "No Lock" in the Market. Very simple app with only one function, to enable or disable the lock screen altogether. and free.

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site
No Lock interferes with the default alarm application - it more often than not prevents the alarm application from displaying a dismissal screen with 2.2 stock. Deleted it and no more problems.

I have 2.2 and I couldn't repeat your problem. The dismiss screen popped up locked and unlocked out of the media craddle and in it.

In fact the SMSpopup issue I mentioned isn't happening. My messages are popping up while unlocked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87