Porting Number to Google Voice

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I am considering porting my number to google voice. The number is currently associated with t-mobile on their $30/mont "unlimited" text/data plan. How would I go about porting the number without interrupting service. Should I contact T-Mobile and change the number then port the old cell number to google voice? Basically just trying to get a handle on how it works so I can figure it out.

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure about how to go with uninterrupted service, but I read in the Google support pages not to cancel your service before porting. I assume the same would go for not changing your number with the carrier then trying to port the old number.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
If you port your number without changing it with t-mobile first, you'll be canceling your service (it's the same as porting your number to Verizon or Sprint). You'll need to get a new number with them first.

Be aware if you do this, you'll need to use the Google Voice app to text (or the recipient will see your real number, which they may not recognize). You will also need a data connection to initiate a call using Google Voice (again, or they'll see your real number).

I have a post around here somewhere explaining it in more detail because I went through this (porting the number I've used for years to Google Voice from Verizon) and had to switch back due to what I saw as drawbacks. I'll try to dig it out when I'm in front of a pc.

I still use Voice for voicemail though, and as a number I give out to people I don't want having my real number (it's easier to block them). Was just too hard to make the switch with a number that everyone I know has.

Posted via Android Central App

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah basically now I am using my google voice number for text and voice calls (with grooveip) and google hangouts with friends and family. It's not that difficult for me to switch everything/everyone to the new google voice number just debating whether I continue with that and keep my normal number as a fall back or port my normal number and have another number as a fallback.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I would be very interested to hear about peoples' experiences with Google voice. It feels like a service that could be incredibly useful if you know how to properly avail yourself of it, but I'm not one of those people!

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited: