Widgets

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
they are similar to the "gadget's in windows 7 and vista" and widgets in the dashboard on macOS.

longpress on the home screen and click the widget to add one.

IBall

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
So when I press and hold the home button, that little box of about 6 apps are the widgets then? When I press on one of them, it just jumps me over to it. Am I missing anything, or is that the extent of it?

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
press on the home SCREEN (empty spot on the "desktop"), and a menu will pop up.

holding the home BUTTON will open a list of your 6 last used apps. makes it easier to jump between a few things quickly

they're things that are designed to give you information without having to open an app

like the calendar widget will show your agenda without having to open the calendar, you can download weather widgets to show you the weather, music widget can control your media player without opening the media app, the picture frame just adds a personal touch, etc.

you can find more in the marketplace as well.

IBall

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
OK, I followed the process about pressing on the open space. When I chose a widget, it told me there was "no more room on this home screen". How do I check what is already hogging up the space?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
A home screen is divided into 16 spaces...4 wide and 4 tall. An icon takes up one space (for example). You need a big enough piece of real estate to accommodate the widget. Drop it on an empty screen to see how big it is.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
yea, it's referring to the "physical" space on the screen, not a storage or memory space.

so drop it on an empty screen, or just remove some icons that you don't want on the current screen.

to remove stuff longpress on whatever you want to remove, when it "picks up" drag it to the bottom of the screen and it'll turn red, let go and it'll remove it from the screen