Sense UI or MOTO BLUR?

anon(40787)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Depends. I have motorola cliq (blur) and it puts all your social feeds into one. Motorola doesn't seem to care as much as HTC for their customers. Never have had sense UI. But if I could try it out on my PC, it would help me.

In my opinion (wait for others) I like blur better.

-----
Sent From My Motorola Cliq - Via Tapatalk

wmtoandroid

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't know how Motorola handles updates, but Sense UI slows down OS updates a lot, so being an owner of an HTC phone, I would rather not have Sense UI because of that.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Which version of Blur? The X's blur is apparently very different from a lot of it's previous incarnations. Personally I like the Motorola UI much better than the HTC UIl; HTC is too colorful and distracting - give me something more muted and let me choose which 3rd party widgets I want to add. Plus there are a few apps in the store that don't work well with Sense because it's too intrusive.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Sense > Blur. Sense really ties into the OS a lot. Blur seems too cartoonish and borderline juvenile. Sense has a much cleaner and mature look. It has a much better implementation with social networks too IMO. Blur is just all over the place.

dekcufi

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
i cant wait till gingerbread gets rid of all that crap. no more bloatware! you should at the very least be able to turn off sense or blur IMHO....

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Sense > Blur. Sense really ties into the OS a lot. Blur seems too cartoonish and borderline juvenile. Sense has a much cleaner and mature look. It has a much better implementation with social networks too IMO. Blur is just all over the place.

I think you've either got those reversed or you haven't seen the X's Blur implementation. I feel the exact opposite - Sense is one step away from anime characters roaming around the screen speaking in little girl voices :)

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I think you've either got those reversed or you haven't seen the X's Blur implementation. I feel the exact opposite - Sense is one step away from anime characters roaming around the screen speaking in little girl voices :)

I have no real experience with Blur, but I've never heard Sense referred to as juvenile or unpolished. Folks may say they prefer stock, but most folks (and most reviews) seem to report that Sense is the most polished of all the options.

Last edited:

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I have no real experience with Blur, but I've never heard Sense referred to as juvenile or inpolished. Folks may say they prefer stock, bit most folks (and most reviews) seem to report that Sense is the most polished of all the options.

Polished, yes, but I find it far too cartoony and bright for my tastes.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Here's my impression of Sense (yes, that's a WinMo phone, but I always picture Sense with an annoyingly garish background for some reason):
Sense-UI-on-WM6.5-1.PNG

And here's the Droid X Blur:
droid-x-europe.jpg

There are some widgets that come with Blur, but most of them I've disabled and they're not nearly as tightly integrated nor as annoyingly designed as the social-networking-oriented prior Blur releases. To me Blur is much more professional looking and to the point. But to each their own.

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Stock all the way :D but if I have to choose, Sense it is.

@jdbower nice way of being objective lol. couldn't you find a worse Sense screenshot? Let me see, squared screen, full of widgets, windows logo, ugly non-Sense notification bar, etc... How about this for a fair screenshot? Wow and I'm not fan of Sense, but hey you pushed me by posting the fugly thing.

Last edited:

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Stock all the way :D but if I have to choose, Sense it is.

@jdbower nice way of being objective lol. couldn't you find a worse Sense screenshot?

Interesting you choose stock or Sense, the X is much more stock than Sense is :)

Here's a more apples-to-apples (or is oranges-to-oranges more appropriate on a non-iForum?) comparison:
droidx_evo_wyg.png

Still can't get used to that big ugly clock and faux button thing at the bottom.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
X
Here's my impression of Sense (yes, that's a WinMo phone, but I always picture Sense with an annoyingly garish background for some reason):

The garish background in your example, of course, has nothing whatsoever to do with Sense. You have every right to prefer Blur, but to recommend it to someone because you once saw a Sense phone with a loud wallpaper is a bit silly. There's nothing garish or colorful about Sense's widgets....they're all pretty much black and sleek.

Still can't get used to that big ugly clock and faux button thing at the bottom.

You do realize the clock is a widget, and is thus removable / replaceable, yes?

Last edited:

Flawson

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I don't find the x's version of blur to be that intrusive on the android experience, I realize that part out what helps it is a 1 ghz processor. I have had some experience with the incredible, and I liked sense ok on that. I played with an evo and sense ran very smoothly on it. It seems to me that the hardware can be a big determinating factor on how well the custom os layers run over android. The rest is really just what you are used to. Sense has a few more features than the laid back "anti-blur", but it's nothing that you can't find widgets or market apps for. I'm not married to the moto style, and I could rock a sense device.
But how fun is it that we, as android users, get to be in the middle of this competition and have choices for our ui and hardware? Blur,sense,vanilla, touch screen, keyboard, amoled, oled, etc etc - it sure beats waiting for ONE device with ONE ui. (or a bunch of near identical devices)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JuniorWWT

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Sense is definitely very well polished. Anyone that has used it cant argue that. I can not comment on Blur as I have never used it. The problem with Sense is that it interferes with the idea of Android. Sense is so integrated and you cant really turn it off without root. It's great for my wife or my mother, but to baked for me. But I do love my senseless Evo!

melwan

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Interesting you choose stock or Sense, the X is much more stock than Sense is :)

Here's a more apples-to-apples (or is oranges-to-oranges more appropriate on a non-iForum?) comparison:
droidx_evo_wyg.png

There you go, now that's a fair comparison :) How do you find the performance of the Blur? Some were reporting very sluggish experience overall.

Personally, I use Launcher Pro on N1 and the performance can't seem to get better than this IMO. Very fluid and smooth.

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Sense all the way!! I ever prefer sense over stock as well

-it adds much needed polish to the overall OS since its basically like a new OS rather than a homescreen

-it nailed social integration with facebook, twitter, and flickr

-best widgets android has to offer imho (seriously, i cant fill 7 screens with content i like without sense)

-integrated apps for communucation (contacts with linked photo albums, email cinversations, sms history as well as event status updates

This and more!! Sorry i rambled too much but imho i wouldnt have kept android if it wasnt for the 'complete' feel sense provides

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
There you go, now that's a fair comparison :) How do you find the performance of the Blur? Some were reporting very sluggish experience overall.

I see that too, and I sometimes wonder if it's the anti-Blur feelings on this site creating a reverse placebo effect (ZOMG my phone is doing something I don't like, it must be that awful Blur!). By and large the phone is very responsive, when it does slow down my first thought is not to blame the UI but to find an errant app. For example, Slacker seems to occasionally freeze between songs and need to be killed, when it's in this state things slow down but I can't blame Blur for that.

Really a UI is just a UI which is why I'd never recommend one over the other, you need to try them all out to see which one suits you. If you read carefully, I've only explained why *I* don't prefer Sense because there are a lot of Sense fans out there, but really Sense isn't horrible other than being way too integrated into the phone experience for my taste. I buy a phone first and then I can fix the UI later. Want Sense but love the X? Get Beautiful Widgets and you're mostly there. Want an Evo/Epic but don't like Sense, try Launcher Pro or just go crazy deleting widgets (I did that on my X as well). Want an iPhone 4G but don't like the UI - oh, wait...

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a Cliq and Eris...I find the Sense UI more polished as well but the big negative is that Google voice doesn't work on the eris...calls always go out on your cell.

I like how Blur centralizes your feeds into widgets but parsing all that xml makes the phone lag when it does it...