Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts

Default Shared to-do list (without subscription fees)

I've been using Astrid for a while now as my primary To-do list app; however, my wife recently told me that she would like to have a to-do list app that would allow us to share tasks between us.

While there are some web-based to-do solutions out there that also have Android apps that sync with them, it seems that everyone of them that is capable of allowing sharing of task lists requires an annual fee of some kind. I'm not against paying for the app, but I just can't justify paying every year for the privilege of syncing a minuscule amount of data to a server.

So, here is the list of requirements that I'm looking for in a new to-do list app:
    1. No recurring fee; I'm ok with paying for the app, itself, though.
    2. Allows collaborative sharing of selected tasks or task lists (it would be even better if some tasks/lists could be kept private as well). In other words, the other users of the account should be able to make changes to the shared list as well.
    3. Provide reminders and alerts. A to-do list is worthless to me if I can't set it to bug me later about the task so that I don't forget. (If the OurGroceries app was capable of alerts or reminders, it would probably fit the bill nicely, but alas, it is not).

Those are the main features I'm looking for... at least that I can think of right now.

Unfortunately, Remember the Milk requires a paid account simply to sync with the Android app and Toodledo allows sharing a list as read-only for free, but if you want to be able to collaborate with others on the list, each user must have a Pro (read: paid) account. Producteev isn't very forthcoming about what sort of collaborate ability (if any) is available through its service.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

-SR-
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts

No responses so far... I guess it's a good thing I just found the answer to my own question...

So, as it turns out, Producteev allows a 2-user "workspace" to be created for free. That, along with Astrid and it's Producteev sync capabilities, make for the perfect combination to have private and shared tasks. In fact, something I just learned is that, once you sign into your Producteev account in Astrid, new options appear for tasks (under the "Add-ons" menu) that allow you to decide if a task it so be synced with the account as well as to whom the task is assigned (it pulls the list of users from your account).

Very slick!

-SR-

You could always use gTasks and just sync both devices to the same Gmail account. This will sync Google tasks...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts

That wouldn't be very practical since you can't share tasks between google accounts, so all users would have to use the same account (for email, too). Plus, I don't recall gtasks having notifications, but I didn't use it for very long.

-SR-

You could probably use the "Our Groceries" app as a psuedo task list. It has a central website, and you can link your phones to that one central account. All users have the ability to create, add, and modify lists. My wife and I use this for our groceries, but I don't see why you could create a list called "To do" and just add things to it other than groceries. The way the grocery list works is that you type in an item, if it exists great, choose it. If not, it allows you to add it. So there is no reason I can see why you couldn't add something like "Walk Dog" to the list.

Alerts however are another story. Not sure if it has alerts or not, my guess is not. We have never had a need for them so I haven't explored.

EDIT: I just reread your OP, and you mentioned it in there... Sorry for clogging up the works here...

Astrid + Producteev are a great pair, but what I find lacking is their ability to be a shared grocery list tool.

For keeping track of the high level stuff you need to get done they sync up really well and I've been able rely on them when I'm working in front of a desktop and when I've been out and used Astrid on the droid, but Producteev's 'notes' are .. rigid.

They seem to be that way on purpose and I get it, but even they acknowledge they're not really ready for a nice shared grocery list quite yet.

Their app is pretty smart though and in my (recent) experience syncs the fastest with Astrid so when they work something out it's going to be slick.

Default Re: Shared to-do list (without subscription fees)

I have tried a few, and I ended up sticking with List~Partage...

For me the sharing and syncing is important, most are solely geared for grocery and todo lists, List~Partage is a multi-purpose list maker with nice options, its free, and auto-syncs immediately with notifications and reminders options.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by DPLyonnais View Post
    I have tried a few, and I ended up sticking with List~Partage...

For me the sharing and syncing is important, most are solely geared for grocery and todo lists, List~Partage is a multi-purpose list maker with nice options, its free, and auto-syncs immediately with notifications and reminders options.
    Thanks for the tip on List~Partage. Have been looking for something to replace HoneyDew which worked great for me and my wife in our BlackBerry days (it used BBM hook to synch instantly), but it doesn't work quite as well on Android due to an inability to do instant pushes.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Evernote. Just share the login info.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Evernote. Just share the login info.
    Evernote is greatness and I use it all the time but mostly for work reminders and a bunch of other stuff my wife would only deem "clutter". LOL Having a dedicated app-for-two is worth the small memory footprint on our Androids. Definitely giving List~Partage a shakedown cruise.

ROM
    CM7 Nightly20120226

We use Cozi. Saw it as the Amazon App of the day a while back. Has tasks, calender, and grocery. Shared loggin on any phone or even computer

After looking at this post I tried a few different ones that were mentioned... For me and my wife, we like "Lists~2~Share"!

It's actually very simple and flexible at the same time, I can create a list and invite her to participate, and any time one of us updates something we get a nice summary of changes via email. And, I can have my own lists, or share lists with her. I have ended up creating a lot of different lists to keep track of movies to see and restaurant wish list.

Anyways, just wanted to share since I read this post.