Android App World

Digital Dave

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Hey anyone know why you can't view all the available Android Apps before you buy the phone? Is it a marketing scheme or are they embarrassed with the quality of apps. Blackberry and iPhone allow this!

kennyidaho

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
There is a third party solution.
www.androlib.com

Also I doubt it has anything to do with marketing or a conspiracy. More likely they just have not got around to doing that yet. It's still early in the game for Android.

Last edited:

kennyidaho

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Yeah but you presented a nice false dilemma implying that there is some hidden agenda behind the lack of an official Android Market web interface. :)

Anyways consider this RIM, Apple, and Palm all control the hardware and software correct? Google doesn't. HTC, Motorola, and Samsung just to name a few all have devices (multiple devices too) released using Android. All these devices have different hardware builds, and different ROM footprints. Providing a web front end to this complex and ever changing ecosystem is probably a daunting task.

A good example. On another forum people are complaining how Bonsai Blast just disappeared for Droid users, seems there is some compatibility issues, however I can download it on my Sprint HTC Hero - but there is some paid apps that at the moment I can't download on my Hero that GSM Hero's can. There is some apps that I can't download on my Hero because it's only Android 1.5. Now add into that multiple countries!

Last edited:

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
yea, google isn't a gatekeeper or moderator of what really goes into the marketplace, they're just a host essentially.

with sites like androlib, it's a moot point anyways.

do i wish their site was better? sure, but in the end, it doesn't really matter

Digital Dave

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Yeah but you presented a nice false dilemma implying that there is some hidden agenda behind the lack of an official Android Market web interface. :)

Anyways consider this RIM, Apple, and Palm all control the hardware and software correct? Google doesn't. HTC, Motorola, and Samsung just to name a few all have devices (multiple devices too) released using Android. All these devices have different hardware builds, and different ROM footprints. Providing a web front end to this complex and ever changing ecosystem is probably a daunting task.

A good example. On another forum people are complaining how Bonsai Blast just disappeared for Droid users, seems there is some compatibility issues, however I can download it on my Sprint HTC Hero - but there is some paid apps that at the moment I can't download on my Hero that GSM Hero's can. There is some apps that I can't download on my Hero because it's only Android 1.5. Now add into that multiple countries!

What?..... anyway is AndroLib.com a good representation of the apps that android has to offer i.e. does it have all the apps that you can load onto your android phone because if that is so android has a lot of catching up to do to be the future iPhone killer. I surfed around a bit on that site and I have to say that the polish is just not there for me. I was considering a Hero but now I may wait further to see what's next for the iPhone or Blackberry.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
the site has poor sorting, but it's essentially a list of everything on the marketplace, so you have to find the ones that are good, as just like every app store out there, there's a good amount of crappy apps.

the apps that are good are quite polished and nice.

but you go ahead and do what you want.

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
the site has poor sorting, but it's essentially a list of everything on the marketplace, so you have to find the ones that are good, as just like every app store out there, there's a good amount of crappy apps.

the apps that are good are quite polished and nice.

but you go ahead and do what you want.

The app market is pretty rough around the edges, and the quality and utility of some (many?) of the apps is doubtful. (Thanks, but I don't need a fart generator.) At the same time, there are some excellent apps, many free or very inexpensive, and hanging out here is a good way to get tipped off to them.

I'm betting that in 6 months this situation will have improved dramatically.

Digital Dave

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
The app market is pretty rough around the edges, and the quality and utility of some (many?) of the apps is doubtful. (Thanks, but I don't need a fart generator.) At the same time, there are some excellent apps, many free or very inexpensive, and hanging out here is a good way to get tipped off to them.

Thanks that makes sense. As more and more Android phones hit the market and are purchased the apps will come.

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site

Let me add to my previous post that I've been very impressed with the speed of fixes and updates for free applications (Quick Settings is a good example.) The developers make NOTHING for all their efforts and I appreciate their hard work. I think it's too easy for us to take them for granted.

I see some pretty sarcastic and unhelpful comments on AndroLib from some users. Those comments don't encourage developers to fix problems, or at least it wouldn't me.

rip14

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I was considering a Hero but now I may wait further to see what's next for the iPhone or Blackberry.

If your going to wait for better apps, then don't be waiting for the blackberry. App World is horrible. The Android market runs so much better, and has many better apps to run.

Digital Dave

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
If your going to wait for better apps, then don't be waiting for the blackberry. App World is horrible. The Android market runs so much better, and has many better apps to run.

Do you have any suggestions for good apps. Perhaps some examples that would run on the Hero?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2