Facebook app update -- new permissions

bubbl07

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I noticed Facebook had an update this morning, but the new permissions its requesting are too much even for Facebook. The ones that bother me are:
- Your messages (read your text messages)
- Hardware controls (change your audio settings; record audio, take pictures and video)
- Your personal information (add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owners' knowledge, read calendar events plus confidential information, read your own contact card; modify your contacts, read call log, write call log)

I'm seriously thinking of uninstalling (or at least not updating ever again). Am I being paranoid? Are there legitimate reasons they could need these permissions?

Nick Minadeo

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
there is absolutely no reason why this app should be asking these kind of permissions. The best guess I can come up with is that the NSA has gotten FB to partner up with them in search for terrorists by recording users at random. I will never update any app with these kind of permissions, and I hope most of the app user community feels the same way. This is totally violating our privacy!!

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I just read all the permissions in my app manager after a friend hipped me to the excessive requests. I'll now be uninstalling the app, placing a bookmark shortcut on my home screen in its place and using text messages to notify me of updates.

ShazPrimus

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I just read all the permissions in my app manager after a friend hipped me to the excessive requests. I'll now be uninstalling the app, placing a bookmark shortcut on my home screen in its place and using text messages to notify me of updates.

I have now uninstalled the app...the sms reading is too much now and ever since my amazon account was hacked (but thankfully stopped by amazon and refunded while i was still asleep this morn) i feel that this might have something to do with it as I never had any issues before this FB update...maybe i'm jumping the gun butr before these new permissions were installed on my phone I had never been hacked and am never stupid enough to click on any link be it amazon/paypal....if i get an email i go straight to the main page without clicking links. wish there was a version of fb i could revert back to before these permissions

djjeffa

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Wish sombody would come out with a 3rd party version of fb. Or an app that showed what the apps were looking at or when they were looking.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

djjeffa

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
All the tech guys out there I wish someone would make a 3rd party app. Or an app that could track what fb is looking at on our phones.

Sent from my Galaxy 3 Tab with Tapatalk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37