Google's "News & Weather" widget

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so I've switched to many different Android phones.. been through about 8 of them.

there's 1 piece of software that I always find myself using and keep on my main screen and use for every single device.. I'm not sure why, I feel attached to it and I cant get rid of it.. it's the Google News & Weather widget.

I feel now that if I remove it from my main screen, I'm losing functionality.. anyone else addicted to this widget?

Sonicaholic

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm addicted to force closing it. as why on earth would I need weather in a widget when I have full screen weather animation (available for all devices) and news there are a multitude of ways to read the news on your device and I'm sure I don't need to mention them as I would run out of space and kill my keyboard.
Please dont think I'm being rude to you personaly as we all have a personal opinion this just happens to be mine. ;)

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I don't run the "news" portion of it.. just the weather.

I like it. It's simple and shows what I need.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm addicted to force closing it. as why on earth would I need weather in a widget when I have full screen weather animation (available for all devices) and news there are a multitude of ways to read the news on your device and I'm sure I don't need to mention them as I would run out of space and kill my keyboard.
Please dont think I'm being rude to you personaly as we all have a personal opinion this just happens to be mine. ;)

What weather animation are you referring to? Also, I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing about some of the top news app/widgets that won't kill your battery or force close. :p

nickf126

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Sniffs, I am with you. I got the fascinate, and I was disappointed to see that it was not there. I have been looking around for the .apk for it. I miss it so much.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I've switched to many different Android phones.. been through about 8 of them.

there's 1 piece of software that I always find myself using and keep on my main screen and use for every single device.. I'm not sure why, I feel attached to it and I cant get rid of it.. it's the Google News & Weather widget.

I feel now that if I remove it from my main screen, I'm losing functionality.. anyone else addicted to this widget?

I don't run the "news" portion of it.. just the weather.
I like it. It's simple and shows what I need.

I just use the weather section of this app as well ,as a way to double check temperture if my default weather one(BW) is not updating correct

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
What weather animation are you referring to? Also, I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing about some of the top news app/widgets that won't kill your battery or force close. :p

I don't necessarily have a widget for news that I use persey...they yes did kill my battery. I just set up a reader account that doesn't sync with google and added all news feeds to that that i'm interested in keeping up with. Sync at will and less space used on phone for other things.

markmensch

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, downloaded the Genie News and Weather apk from this forum, loaded it, but it FCs every time I launch the app icon OR try to add it to Home. Any tricks to get this working on froyo (running rooted froyo on Cappy).

update: just read I'm supposed to place it in /sysptem/app and set to x644, then reboot, but still FCing on me after I did this. And yes, I did uninstall before placing and rebooting

update: Still didn't work.

update: OK, got it working. I don't know if it's 'cuz I'm on anther phone, but when I tried a different ver apk, it worked on my ATT Captivate, running slightly mod'd stock froyo. Of course, need to be rooted, have terminal, etc. download apk from:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=12609991&postcount=2

Last edited:

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I love the weather widget, and the graphic temp/precipitation is pretty slick. I use the news portion from time to time, but use twitter for most of my news needs.

shamefulzero

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, downloaded the Genie News and Weather apk from this forum, loaded it, but it FCs every time I launch the app icon OR try to add it to Home. Any tricks to get this working on froyo (running rooted froyo on Cappy).

update: just read I'm supposed to place it in /sysptem/app and set to x644, then reboot, but still FCing on me after I did this. And yes, I did uninstall before placing and rebooting

update: Still didn't work.

update: OK, got it working. I don't know if it's 'cuz I'm on anther phone, but when I tried a different ver apk, it worked on my ATT Captivate, running slightly mod'd stock froyo. Of course, need to be rooted, have terminal, etc. download apk from:
xda-developers - View Single Post - [Q] [Request] Genie Weather and News Widget for the TB

really? you can no longer have google's news/weather app on your phone unless your rooted? i just got a brand new dinc2 and cant install it. it's on my old dink though i wonder if i can save to my sd card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance