Go to App for Backup/syncing?

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
In your opinion what is the best app for backing up data, apps/app info and everything else on my phone? One that doesn't require root? I know my verizon phone comes with something called Backup Assistant but I haven't heard great things about it. Thanks!

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
For sheer convenience I use Drive which comes with 15GB of free storage to back up everything (I actually have 65GB through whatever subscription for two years but when it runs out I'll worry about that then!)

My personal preference from a useabilty and UI point of view is Dropbox but that only comes with 2GB of free storage so I only store my most accessed files on there. With regards to app data your Google account is supposed to take care of that (providing you've got it set to sync), but I've found it to be rather hit-and-miss at times. Of course, your ultimate backup - app data aside - is the hard drive on your PC, which of course you have a seperate backup of as well (don't you?)

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
In your opinion what is the best app for backing up data, apps/app info and everything else on my phone? One that doesn't require root? I know my verizon phone comes with something called Backup Assistant but I haven't heard great things about it. Thanks!

Helium is your best bet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Helium is your best bet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

The OP doesn't want a rooted option, hence my suggestion.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Helium doesn't require root.

Apologies, my mistake: I mixed it up with Titanium!! *doh*

I remember looking at Helium (was it previously also known as Carbon?) in times gone by, but as it?s incompatible with my phone I didn?t really delve in to it too much and somehow I?ve mixed the two up (probably with both having -ium on the end!).

Again my apologies.

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Apologies, my mistake: I mixed it up with Titanium!! *doh*

I remember looking at Helium (was it previously also known as Carbon?) in times gone by, but as it’s incompatible with my phone I didn’t really delve in to it too much and somehow I’ve mixed the two up (probably with both having -ium on the end!).

Again my apologies.

No problem. You are correct, Helium used to be named Carbon. Just curious, what phone do you have and what version of Android is it running?

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
No problem. You are correct, Helium used to be named Carbon. Just curious, what phone do you have and what version of Android is it running?

I have Motorola's Intel experiment the XT890 (RAZR i) running 4.1.2.

Helium doesn't work on Motorola devices, although having now re-acquainted my self with it due to this thread I now recall I have tried it nevertheless previously. I've never bothered rooting it due to the lack of custom ROM options, but I may buy the Moto G in the next day or so to see what that brings!

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have Motorola's Intel experiment the XT890 (RAZR i) running 4.1.2.

Helium doesn't work on Motorola devices, although having now re-acquainted my self with it due to this thread I now recall I have tried it nevertheless previously. I've never bothered rooting it due to the lack of custom ROM options, but I may buy the Moto G in the next day or so to see what that brings!

I forgot Helium won't work on Moto phones. Do you know if Helium works on the Moto X or Moto G? I was really hoping that once Google bought Moto, they would stop the silliness that prevents Helium from working.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Update:
Well I've been out and picked up a Moto G this morning and at the moment I'm busy re-installing all my apps (forget Google's backup service: 95 per cent of the ones which automatically downloaded failed but no surprises there!)

Anyway, I took another look at Helium on the Store and it says it is compatible with the G. I sincerely hope so but it may be a couple of days before I can get around to trying it out.

zetodavido

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I did backup with helium and it worked well. I ended up rooting so I've got titanium now. Thanks for the recommendation s guys. And while you mentioned it, I've seen storage services pop up in the play store that supposedly offer like 100 gigs for free. You guys ever use something other than Dropbox or Drive?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Tvppy

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site

I use Helium. Pretty easy and simple to use and has a nice UI too!

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11