Looking for App: Word Processing / Text editing

Sol Invictus

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi!
For the past few months I have been looking for an app, that can do offline text editing / word processing and has PC-like cursor navigation and text selection, plus (optimally the standard) keyboard shortcuts for copy&paste. Meaning I want to be able to move the cursor, using my bluetooth keyboard, and skip words with Ctrl+Arrow Key and jump to the beginning/end of the line, using (for instance) Alt/AltGr/Alt&Ctrl+Arrow Key (since the Home key is taking you to Android's home screen). And of course I want to be able to select text using just my keyboard, ideally by holding the Shift key and moving the cursor around.
And I'd like to have at least minimal formatting options and a minimal compatability with PC text editing programs that recognise that formatting.

Unfortunately and amazingly, even Kingsoft Office, Docs to Go, Quickoffice, Office Pro and more apps I tried do not seem to support all of these rather minimal features. Google's Drive can do all that - but you can't edit or create documents offline. :-\

So at the moment, I am using Writer (by James McMinn), which does all that, but it can only do very limited formatting and the formatting it does only is recognised by Writer.
So does anyone have an idea to which app I could turn to? I would be willing to spend money on this one. :-$
Thanks for your time and ideas!
S_I

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums! I'm pretty sure you can create offline documents. At least I recall doing so many times in the past. Take a look through the settings and see if the option for offline use is there, it should be.

Sol Invictus

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi! And thank you!
Indeed, I completely overlooked that there is an option to make existing Google Documents available for offline editing. That does help. But there is still the issue that apparently I can't create a new document when I am already offline. At least Google Drive always reports that there was an error every time I try (even from the "offline" section), and no document is created. I checked the Drive app's options and the settings you can find online, and I couldn't find an option that would permit or deny the offline creation of documents. Did I miss something? Or is there maybe a tool/app that allows one to create Google Documents offline?
Because otherwise I am still interested in an alternative word processing app.

kernmal

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I have not tried it (yet) but there is a port of OpenOffice in the Play Store called AndrOpen Office. It looks to be useless on a phone screen because the full toolbar and menus are too small. On a 10 inch tablet it might be manageable.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Sol Invictus

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, kernmal, I tried it out. AndrOpen Office looks more navigable and operable on my tablet's screen, indeed. The smaller buttons though are a bit difficult to hit on the touchscreen, but the huge advantage it has is its comprehensive functionality. Unfortunately, it seems like it still would need some adapting to Android. E.g., it does not recognise the AltGr key of my bluetooth keyboard properly, but thanks to the customisation options I can work around that.
So, to anyone looking for a all-encompassing word processor for Android, AndrOpen Office is worth trying out.
I think I will be using it. But still, if anyone else has a text editing software that meets the criteria mentioned in the OP, I would still be keen to hear about that!

Sol Invictus

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Just an update for anyone also missing the abovementioned text navigation features: So since AndrOpen Office is really tedious to work with I turned to Evernote. Moving your cursor to the beginning / end of the line using AltGr/ Ctrl+Alt and Arrow Keys works perfectly, highlighting text with the Shift Key as well. The downside are the very limited formatting options. Plus, highlighting text using the Shift Key and using the standard shortcuts for formating (Ctrl+I/B/U) doesn't seem to work. And it's not possible to export a document of any kind - so copy and paste it is.
The decisive factors are for me though: The Android Evernote app offers offline text editing and document creation, minimal formatting options, and proper cursor control including "go to beginning/end of line" and "skip to next word" (Ctrl+Arrow).

Edit: The lack of exportability to different file formats is kind of made up for by the syncing option with the Evernote desktop pc application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol