Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is there an app for Google alerts or is that what went away when Google reader shut down?

For example if I wanted a search run daily for HTC is there anything on the web that still does this or an app?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Default Re: Is there an app for Google alerts or is that what went away when Google reader shut down?

Tasker could probably do this, although I don't have direct experience with it.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about your question more, maybe not ...

Default Re: Is there an app for Google alerts or is that what went away when Google reader shut down?

Google alerts...delivered to your gmail.
    Google Alerts - Monitor the Web for interesting new content
    Not good enough?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by electricpete View Post
    Google alerts...delivered to your gmail.
    Google Alerts - Monitor the Web for interesting new content
    Not good enough?
    That's not a bad solution, but I would like it in app format. I guess you could counter and say Gmail would be the app lol.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Well, gmail is a pretty good and customizable app. Assuming you have a pc, you can set up a gmail rule so that all messages containing
    "Google alert" in the subject line are assigned a custom tag/label and (if you want) removed from your inbox....they'll still be accessible from gmail, just not in the inbox. You can set up a different label for each Google alert using more key words if you prefer

Then on your phone (assuming 4.0+) you can:
    @ set up a shortcut direct to the label launchable from home screen, out anywhere that accepts a shortcut
    @ set up the notifications for that label, including:
    @@notify once on first new item or notify on every new item
    @@custom sound for this label different than your inbox sound.
    @of course gmail will keep track of which you've read and which you hadn't and allow you to delete or star a message
    @you can access the label either by tapping on the notification or through your normal gmail.

It can all be done with gmail, I've done it myself. I have a rule in my work ms outlook where all my work email is forwarded to my personal Gmail and then in gmail I separate it and treated exactly in the way I described above so I can easily access it from my phone to keep up on nights and weekends (although I can't reply very well).

So it can act just like an app, and you might learn some useful productivity tools you can use to manage your Gmail in the process

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I still wish it was easier, but that's probably the closest I will get. Great idea!