Fed up with Evernote. Is there a better way/app for taking notes??

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
The fact that it takes so long for everything to sync (especially across platforms) has officially become a game ender for me.
The Android phone app doesnt sync well with my desktop and the IPAD app is just horrible all around.

I really miss the instantaneous syncing of my simple Outlook notes through Exchange.

Are any other options/solutions?

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I've started using Google Keep and I really like it. Evernote was pissing me off too and it sucks because I used it so much. The biggest killer besides load times for web version and android app was the lack off offline mode. There is an offline mode but you have to be a subscriber. For simple notes.

I'm loving Google Keep and it works great on chrome, my tablet, phone, and keeps everything synced.

The strongest feature I like about Keep is the lists. You can make lists with check boxes or if you happen to be listing things out you can easily convert it into a checkbox. It doesn't have a note group category like evernote does and for some odd reason you cannot print from the web version or android version. I just copied and pasted it into word on PC to print. Those are two small annoyances but evernote was pissing me off more. Anyways, I don't organize notes I just write them.

I used Color Note at one point on an older phone but haven't used it since.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Another vote for Keep. I think Evernote took a simple app like notes and added too much stuff to it. Google kept it simple, and efficient.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I've started using Google Keep and I really like it. Evernote was pissing me off too and it sucks because I used it so much. The biggest killer besides load times for web version and android app was the lack off offline mode. There is an offline mode but you have to be a subscriber. For simple notes.

I'm loving Google Keep and it works great on chrome, my tablet, phone, and keeps everything synced.

The strongest feature I like about Keep is the lists. You can make lists with check boxes or if you happen to be listing things out you can easily convert it into a checkbox. It doesn't have a note group category like evernote does and for some odd reason you cannot print from the web version or android version. I just copied and pasted it into word on PC to print. Those are two small annoyances but evernote was pissing me off more. Anyways, I don't organize notes I just write them.

I used Color Note at one point on an older phone but haven't used it since.

Another vote for Keep. I think Evernote took a simple app like notes and added too much stuff to it. Google kept it simple, and efficient.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Thank you both for your responses.

From a syncing perspective, is Keep superior to Evernote? If so, how?

Finally, can it be used on an Apple device?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you both for your responses.

From a syncing perspective, is Keep superior to Evernote? If so, how?

Finally, can it be used on an Apple device?

I don't know about Keep being on Apple. As for syncing, it's pretty quick, at most a few minutes.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Why not use Google Drive? That's what I use for my notes. Google Keep doesn't have all of the features that Evernote has. But you can find those features on Drive. And it syncs well with just about everything.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Why not use Google Drive? That's what I use for my notes. Google Keep doesn't have all of the features that Evernote has. But you can find those features on Drive. And it syncs well with just about everything.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.

I don't have a problem with Google Drive. I write a lot, and I use drive CONSTANTLY. I love the offline features too. But, I like a notepad app. I like the style, UI, and simplicity of just taking notes. Yes, you can easily open drive and do a word (forgot what google calls it) document and save it, sync it, and organize it better. But sometimes it's nice just to use notes for quick and easy reference and widgets.

I did find the name of the old note app I used to use. "Color Note" it has syncing too. Haven't tried it since my SII but my give it a spin again. I wasn't aware that Drive lets you take what you wrote and turn it into a checklist too. That's pretty cool. Actually I have one beef with Drive and that's the issue of Google Docs and Drive not being fully merged. I've had people send me stuff in Google Docs and then it goes over to drive or sometimes stays in Google Docs. I never used Google Docs so I'm not familiar with it. I'd rather Google just merge the two. It would be nice to have Google Keep be in Drive as well. But keep the keep features.

Basic point is Keep is simplistic, like the card ui, and it works. I'm really surprised iPhone doesn't have a keep app. Google has almost all their apps on iOS and sometimes they get features early (like hangouts and google+) that android gets later.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a problem with Google Drive. I write a lot, and I use drive CONSTANTLY. I love the offline features too. But, I like a notepad app. I like the style, UI, and simplicity of just taking notes. Yes, you can easily open drive and do a word (forgot what google calls it) document and save it, sync it, and organize it better. But sometimes it's nice just to use notes for quick and easy reference and widgets.

I did find the name of the old note app I used to use. "Color Note" it has syncing too. Haven't tried it since my SII but my give it a spin again. I wasn't aware that Drive lets you take what you wrote and turn it into a checklist too. That's pretty cool. Actually I have one beef with Drive and that's the issue of Google Docs and Drive not being fully merged. I've had people send me stuff in Google Docs and then it goes over to drive or sometimes stays in Google Docs. I never used Google Docs so I'm not familiar with it. I'd rather Google just merge the two. It would be nice to have Google Keep be in Drive as well. But keep the keep features.

Basic point is Keep is simplistic, like the card ui, and it works. I'm really surprised iPhone doesn't have a keep app. Google has almost all their apps on iOS and sometimes they get features early (like hangouts and google+) that android gets later.

I thought Google Drive and Google Docs were merged together. There is no longer a Google Docs app. For general note taking, even for checklists, I use the iOS notepad and reminders apps. They sync to all of my devices and the apps are pretty much straightforward. For anything else, I use Google Drive.