Google Talk replacement

dimm0k

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
ever since Google *messed* things up and replaced Google Talk with Hangouts, I've been looking for a replacement... any worthy suggestions out there?

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, you'll have to be a bit more specific. A replacement to keep using Hangouts without having to, well, use Hangouts? Or a IM messaging replacement? Or an overall SMS messaging replacement?

It seems many don't agree with you since Hangouts has been generally well received, but in my case, I seldom use Hangouts AT ALL. None of my friends use it, so... For an IM-type messenger, I'd recommend Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger (yeah, I know, the fuss of the buyout, blah blah blah). Some friends use Line, but I personally don't like it. Skype also has built-in messaging, but I just don't like the invasive interface.

Oh, and I'm not sure there's a third-party app that allows you to connect to Hangouts... maybe apps like IM+ but I'm not sure.

dimm0k

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
ahh, I should have been more specific... I didn't really get a chance to use Google Talk much since my device was upgraded to 4.3 and with it Hangout. what I'm looking for specifically is access to my AOL AIM buddies and my gchat buddies in one app while allowing me to save chat history to Google. I believe this was how the Google Talk app on Android was...

Colin Salazar

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
If it's text messaging you're after, I'm currently using (and quite pleased with) Contacts+
Download the contact manager and dialer as well. They work work harmoniously together. I'm using an LG nexus 4

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oooooh, OK... Well, I never used the Google Talk app so I didn't know that it synced your conversations with the web counterpart. The only way I can think of doing that is to use a third-party app like IM+, Trillian (VERY old), BeeJive, imo, Nimbuzz, etc... They can connect to both services but under a single app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800