Deleting SMS from Hangouts

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 and am using Hangouts for SMS messages. Is there an easy way to delete old messages? The reason I ask is I use SMS Backup & Restore and it takes forever to process my backup file since I have 11,000 or so messages in it. Or, is it best to use a 3rd party app like Textra (I think it has an option to delete old text messages).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 and am using Hangouts for SMS messages. Is there an easy way to delete old messages? The reason I ask is I use SMS Backup & Restore and it takes forever to process my backup file since I have 11,000 or so messages in it. Or, is it best to use a 3rd party app like Textra (I think it has an option to delete old text messages).

I think you can just longpress the thread of texts to delete for Hangouts. Otherwise Textra does delete threads.

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Looks like Textra doesn't have an option to delete old message, I thought it did. I guess I will look around for another 3rd party texting app that does that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As Golfdriver97 mentioned, you can long press any SMS thread and then tap the Delete icon. That should get rid of all messages in that thread.

Posted via Android Central App

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
As Golfdriver97 mentioned, you can long press any SMS thread and then tap the Delete icon. That should get rid of all messages in that thread.

Posted via Android Central App

Right, but I am looking to only delete messages older than 30 days, for example. So I don't want to get rid of all messages in a thread, I want to get rid of old messages in all my threads, and have the ability to define what "old" means (ie, older than 30 days, 60 days, etc).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There is an option for "Delete old messages when storage is low." Open Hangouts, tap the Menu button, then Settings>SMS, and look under Advanced. Would that help?

regression

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
There is an option for "Delete old messages when storage is low." Open Hangouts, tap the Menu button, then Settings>SMS, and look under Advanced. Would that help?

Yeah, I might use that, but I was hoping for more control over what gets deleted and when. That option seems a big ambiguous. What is the definition of "storage is low"? IE, how many megs / gigs constitutes low storage?