Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Deleting SMS from Hangouts

I have a Nexus 5 and am using Hangouts for SMS messages. Is there an easy way to delete old messages? The reason I ask is I use SMS Backup & Restore and it takes forever to process my backup file since I have 11,000 or so messages in it. Or, is it best to use a 3rd party app like Textra (I think it has an option to delete old text messages).

Global Posts
    26,673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Deleting SMS from Hangouts

Quote Originally Posted by regression View Post
    I have a Nexus 5 and am using Hangouts for SMS messages. Is there an easy way to delete old messages? The reason I ask is I use SMS Backup & Restore and it takes forever to process my backup file since I have 11,000 or so messages in it. Or, is it best to use a 3rd party app like Textra (I think it has an option to delete old text messages).
    I think you can just longpress the thread of texts to delete for Hangouts. Otherwise Textra does delete threads.
    ‚Äč
    What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    B. Diddy likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I think you can just longpress the thread of texts to delete for Hangouts. Otherwise Textra does delete threads.
    OK. I might look at Textra, hopefully it has a feature to delete messages older than X days old...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Looks like Textra doesn't have an option to delete old message, I thought it did. I guess I will look around for another 3rd party texting app that does that.

As Golfdriver97 mentioned, you can long press any SMS thread and then tap the Delete icon. That should get rid of all messages in that thread.

Posted via Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    As Golfdriver97 mentioned, you can long press any SMS thread and then tap the Delete icon. That should get rid of all messages in that thread.

Posted via Android Central App
    Right, but I am looking to only delete messages older than 30 days, for example. So I don't want to get rid of all messages in a thread, I want to get rid of old messages in all my threads, and have the ability to define what "old" means (ie, older than 30 days, 60 days, etc).

There is an option for "Delete old messages when storage is low." Open Hangouts, tap the Menu button, then Settings>SMS, and look under Advanced. Would that help?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    There is an option for "Delete old messages when storage is low." Open Hangouts, tap the Menu button, then Settings>SMS, and look under Advanced. Would that help?
    Yeah, I might use that, but I was hoping for more control over what gets deleted and when. That option seems a big ambiguous. What is the definition of "storage is low"? IE, how many megs / gigs constitutes low storage?

Yes, it's unclear. Presumably it's the same threshold that triggers a Low Memory warning.