Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What is the best e-reader for technical books?

I have recently bought an Android tablet, and would like to read some technical/programming books on it. The problem I am running into is most e-reader apps seem to ignore various aspects of the publisher's formatting. For technical books, formatting (fonts, colors, spacing) is critical to being able to read the book.

Ideally, I would like an app that uses the publisher's formatting (except font size, which I would like to be able to change), with all the other typical e-reader features (bookmarks, notes, night mode). Any suggestions?

Default Re: What is the best e-reader for technical books?

Have you tried Google Play Books?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I've tried Google Play Books, but the books (in epub format) upload but fail to be processed

Might not be applicable to you but I use the Safari Online mobile website on my Android and it is formatted beautifully.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

In case this helps someone else who comes across this thread, I systematically tested a bunch of ereader apps for the technical books I want to read (from Manning Publications, in case that matters). Here is my rankings in a nutshell:

Best: Kindle (.mobi of course) and Kobo. They were clearly the best, formatted great and having every feature I wanted. I liked Kobo's UI a little more (and will support epub if that's what you have) but does not allow changing their huge margins. I'm using Kindle because I can make the margins smaller

Close: Mantano, Epub Reader, Moon+ (using Publisher's Preview mode)

Not good enough (for technical books, anyway): Aldiko, Nook, UB Reader, FBReader (.mobi), Ebook reader

Unusable (for technical books): FBReader (.epub), Go Book, Moon+

Did not work (possibly due to issues with the epubs?): Google Books, Cool Reader