Flashlight by Joe. No ads. No stolen data. Open source. Free. :)

jbutewicz

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone! I've been messing around with Android programming and built my first app.

I read the news about Brightest Flashlight stealing user's data, and decided to build my own flashlight. No ads. No stolen data. Open source. Free.

Google Play link to download Flashlight by Joe:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jbutewicz.flashlightbyjoe

Source code for Flashlight by Joe will always be available at my jbutewicz github:
https://github.com/jbutewicz/Flashlight-by-Joe

There are a lot of devices to support so if you do happen to download it and it doesn't work then let me know so that I can get it working for you!

I'm looking forward to hanging out here.

@jbutewicz

Last edited:

jbutewicz

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I've been getting some downloads recently, so if it was anyone here, thank you very much.

Definitely let me know how it works and if there is anything that I can improve on.

jfslater98

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi Joe,

I saw your previous posts asking why flashlight apps needed network access, so I figured I could trust you

Unfortunately, your app doesn't work on my decrepit old RAZR Maxx. Normally I wouldn't post something critical, but you were asking for feedback. I understand if you don't have the time to develop something for my old phone, but let me know if you do find a solution thanks.

John

jbutewicz

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi Joe,

I saw your previous posts asking why flashlight apps needed network access, so I figured I could trust you

Unfortunately, your app doesn't work on my decrepit old RAZR Maxx. Normally I wouldn't post something critical, but you were asking for feedback. I understand if you don't have the time to develop something for my old phone, but let me know if you do find a solution thanks.

John

If I get some time I will try to get a hold of the device and get it running for you.

Good job, but why you post source code?:) It's flashlight, not very interesting app with intersting source code :)

I posted the source code for several reasons.

1. Accessing and using the camera on Android is actually incredibly difficult. For example, my app works on about a dozen different versions of Android and works on thousands of different phones and many different manufacturers. Unfortunately the different phone manufacturers implement the camera differently on different phones. Even within the same manufacturer I can get the app working on one phone but not on another phone. If anyone else is looking to make a camera or hardware related app then maybe they can use my code to get their app working.
  2. I want people to know what is being installed on their phone. I have no reason to hide anything related to the source code so if anyone wants to look at it and see what is running on their phone then they can have a look at the source code.
  3. It is important to post code as a developer to your Github account. This way people can see what projects you are working on and how your code looks. The whole entire program takes up a couple KBs so it's not as though I'm wasting valuable space on the internet.

You would think doing something as simple as turning a flash on and off would be simple, but it's a perfect example as to why programming for the Android platform is so much more difficult than developing for one or two versions of an operating system and a couple different phones like with Apple.

DKatman

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
While looking around, I saw this post. I had a flashlight app. It was a good one... has ads. I thought I would look at yours. It is nice. I like it a lot. I love the widget and that I can start it right from my home screen. Nice job and thanks a bunch.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo