Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AVG Mobile detected a threat

I've never seen the icon before but the name is System Manager Application. I'm afraid to uninstall - should I?

Posted via Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AVG Mobile detected a threat-screenshot_2014-05-11-14-30-59.jpg  

760 Posts
    Global Posts
    849 Global Posts

Default Re: AVG Mobile detected a threat

First off which app is this? And is this app side loaded or downloaded from the play store?

If it's not something essential I would double check but me personally I would erase it

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I don't know what app it is. It's not in my app menu. I've never seen the icon before. It's not the same icon as the regular system icon. I ran a Malwarebytes scan and that one identified no threats so I'm confused.

Posted via Android Central App

I had the exact same thing happen today also. Was there an update today that could be causing it?

Its a system function it came with the phone, it won't let you uninstall btw, you'd have to root your phone to uninstall it.
    I don't remember getting an update for it...

As for what is causing the threat detection, not sure how true this is but this is what I found, thought I'd pass it along.

"AVG flagged your T-Mobile Android phone due to the Carrier IQ application calling itself System Manger app. Carrier IQ is a metric reporting data collector and basically infringes on the user privacy. Several Vendors (Verizon, AT&T, iPhone etc) have removed the Carrier IQ app due to invasion of the End User privacy.

The only way to remove the Carrier IQ so far is to "root" (jailbreak) the phone."

I'd take it with a dash of salt but seems like a valid reason, I'd rather ask AVG for confirmation however.
    electricpete likes this.

The NSA requires companies like T-mobile and Verizon to essentially help spy on U.S. citizens. This particular app collects data about how you use the phone (and may have other functions). So that is why it is flagged. in later version this particular "bug" is "fixed"