[Clash of Clans] Troubleshooting: App Crashes or Doesn't Load
Clash of Clans is extensively tested before each update on several devices. There are times however, where some user's devices encounter issues after initial install, update, or server maintenance. Here are some self-help steps to try if you are encountering issues. Some of these steps or menu paths may be different or not available on every Android version.
PLEASE ASSOCIATE YOUR VILLAGE WITH GOOGLE +! VILLAGES NOT ASSOCIATED WITH GOOGLE+(ONLY LINKED TO THE LOCAL FILES ON THE DEVICE) CAN BE VERY DIFFICULT, AND ON OCCASION IMPOSSIBLE TO BE RETRIEVED IF YOU LOSE ACCESS TO THE LOCAL FILES.
1) Close the app an relaunch it:
From the home screen Hold the home button to show open apps.
Swipe each app picture sidewards or upwards(landscape)to close.
Go to Settings, and then tap 'Apps'.
Tap the 'Running' tab at the top of the Manage Applications screen
Choose Clash of Clans.
Touch either the Stop or Force Stop button.
2) Power off and/or reset your device
Press and hold power button until power menu appears, then power off
Press and hold both power button and home button for about 10 seconds until your phone starts to reboot.
3) Remove the app and re-install it (Make sure your game is connected to Google+ or you could lose your village!!!) Go to settings > Application Manager > Clash of Clans > Uninstall
4) Upgrade your device to the latest Android version it supports
5) Check that your device is not full (Settings > Storage) Make sure you have several MB available for temp or update files.
6) Log out of Google+ or Facebook (if linked) and log back in. You can disconnect from Facebook or Google+ in-game if you can access the game, just press the connected button.
7) Ensure your Date/Time settings and Time Zone are correct.
Settings > Date & Time
8) Do you have a good network connection that is allowing TCP traffic over port 9339? Some public hotspots do not have this open. Here is a quick URL to check: Outgoing Port Tester
9a) Try an alternate connection method. Switch from cellular to wifi or vice versa. Try a neighbors (with permission) wifi, preferably with a different ISP.
9b) Cycle the power on your Router.
9c) Replace your ISP's DNS server with Google's public server: 184.108.40.206
Make note of what you currently have before you change.
Settings > Wi-Fi > Hold currently connected WIFI network > Modify Network config > Show Advanced options > IP settings > Static
Replace your current settings (after you write them down) with 220.127.116.11
If this works, then your ISP's DNS server is not updating in real-time
10) If your device was issued through work or school - Check with your work/school IT Department to further investigate.
11) Contact your Service Provider. If the above steps didn't help you, 99% of the time, it's an issue with your ISP. Some providers either unintentionally or for specific reasons mis-catagorize Clash of Clans network traffic. Several major ISPs do or have blocked the game in the past either all the time or during specific times of the day. Contact their customer support and explain your issues to them to see what they can do.
12) You can always do a factory reset (Not recommended without being linked to Google+)
You can reset to a stock rom via a ROM flasher like ODIN or use samsung KIES If your village is not linked to Google+, this step is not advised as you will lose access to the locally stored village files.
If none of these steps help you, These are your next best options:
A) If the crashes happen in-game, where you can access the game, Click the Settings icon, then Help and Support button, then "Report an Issue" button. This is important, because it sends the e-mail with in-game account data needed to better help you.
B) E-mail support directly with as much detail as you can to: firstname.lastname@example.org
C) Make a forum post in the "Bugs & Problems" sub-forum. The first thing we are going to ask is did you try the steps in this Sticky, so please indicate that if you did. When making the posts, Please include model/Android Version/connection type as well as what point the app fails/crashes and as many details as possible.
**If anyone has found any other steps helpful that I forgot, or I have something worded wrong in this, feel free to PM me so I can update to better help others.**