Did a store rep install a task manager when you purchased your phone?

Did a store rep install and/or recommend a Task Manager?

• Total voters

S.SubZero#AC

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
1) If you purchased your phone at the store, which of the 4 major carriers did you buy your phone from: Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile or AT&T?
I got my Droid Incredible about a month ago at a Verizon store.

2.) Did the store employee install and/or strongly recommend a task manager before you left the store?
The sales guy installed ATK during setup and showed me how to use it.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
1.) Verizon HTC Incredible.

Purchased with OS 2.1.

I installed ATK and found that it did indeed help.

2.) Froyo 2.2 update came through... started seeing major battery issues. Uninstalled ATK and the battery issues went back to normal.

I now use RUNNING SERVICES when I need to kill something and that has managed things pretty well.

Lego!

crwallace2

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
1)Verizon - Droid Incredible
2) Rep installed ATK. I went along at the time because I was new to Android and was most recently on a Blackberry and wasn't aware. I removed a week or two later when I found your forums.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
1)Verizon - Droid Incredible

2)The rep made no mention of a task killer. Then again, I got mine the day it was released.

tdosthp

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
On my Incredible (several phones ago) I had to take it to Verizon to have it activated. The sales rep did install a task killer and gave me a photocopied-handwritten list of suggested apps.

ectoren

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
When I bought my HTC Hero and then the Evo, Sprint reps at the stores pimped the ATK. If I had issues with the HTC Hero phone, the mantra was "Dowload first ATK then come back if there is a bug or lag." With the Evo, haven't had problems, but when I bought it, ATK! ATK!

madty

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Verizon, Droid Inc., Did not recommend task killer. If they had I would have declined.

I came from heavily modified Droid 1 so I definitely understand there is no need for a task killer and would have advised the rep had they asked.

dcigary

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
EVO at Sprint. The rep handed me my phone with Advanced Task Killer already installed, and she even explained how to use it - including or excluding programs, explaining that it would extend my battery life.

The concept seemed reasonable to me - a seasoned smartphone veteran but my first Droid, so yeah, some background processes can kill a battery pretty quick I thought. I've still got it running. Maybe I'll try removing it for a few days and see how it goes.

zyphbear

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I had gotten my Motorola Cliq from T-Mobile through the website and had called in about a bunch of issues I was having with the phone, the first thing they said was "have you installed a task killer program like taskiller or advanced task manager? if you need help in doing so, I can walk you through the steps to install one before we continue checking the problems with your phone", so I just said "yes". They preinstall crap on the phone and then encourage me to use a taskiller too. The issue ended up being hardware and after 3 replacements, they finally got me out of the CLIQ series. Don't get me wrong, I personally feel I should be able to stop 3rd part apps, but I shouldn't have to root my phone just to uninstall the crap on there.

Dragoneer

Mar 20, 2010
Visit site
VZW, Droid X replacement. I went in to have my DX (which was shipped to me in August) replaced due to a manufacturer's defect. A rep attempted to install ATK after the activation on the brand new replacement device and I interrupted him right on the spot, then demanded him to get another rep (who is also a good friend of mine). When that other rep took over, I intentionally asked him if he would ever install ATK on ANY Android-based devices for their customers. His answer: "No way," then whispered "don't tell me that one of my co-workers tried to do that to you, didn't he?"

The next day, I was told that the certain rep who attempted to install ATK on my DX was terminated from working at the VZW store for violating VZW's employment agreements. Apparently, VZW does have a policy that prohibits their employees from installing unofficial Android/Google "fix it" apps, such as ATK and so on.

kosekjm

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Evo at launch day. BB employees were recommending them to everyone that came in to pick up their Evo. In the time I was there, I had to have heard the Task Killer spiel about 10 times from the various employees.

My wife just picked up an Intercept about a month or two ago and BB again recommended she install a task killer as well.

gtricecakes

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
The verizon rep may have mentioned it, but did not install it on my Incredible. I called Verizon about issues with my phone and they kept on asking me if I was using a task killer or program to manage my memory, implying that would help my issues...kthx, Verizon...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid