View Poll Results: Did a store rep install and/or recommend a Task Manager?
- 963. You may not vote on this poll
Yes they did.
No but they advised that I do so.
No they did not.
- 10-19-2010, 05:34 PM #101
How many times do you here "these were a necessity on Windows phones" These are NOT windows phones! Stupid store reps know nothing about the phones they sell. A few are knowledgeable, most are not. No one should ever put anything on your phone without your permission.
- 10-19-2010, 05:42 PM #103
- 10-19-2010, 05:43 PM #104
Took my X to a Verizon store to see if they could troubleshoot all of the issues that I've had since updating to froyo. The store manager took my phone and downloaded a task killer app from the market. She said that should fix it. Took my phone back from her, told her I was uninstalling it and then called her an ***** and walked out.
- 10-19-2010, 05:53 PM #105
- 10-19-2010, 05:55 PM #106
- 10-19-2010, 05:58 PM #107
- 10-19-2010, 06:08 PM #108
- 29 Posts
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
- 4.0.2 Stock
1) Verizon factory store, Droid X
2) Store employee installed the task manager before ever handing me the phone.
I have since updated to 2.2 (Froyo) and have uninstalled the task manager. Phone still runs a bit slowly and less stable than under 2.1 now. I seem to have random force-closes that I didn't see before. I really can't blame any of this on the lack of a task manager, however.
- 10-19-2010, 06:08 PM #109
- 10-19-2010, 06:09 PM #110
- 10-19-2010, 06:11 PM #111
- 856 Posts
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
- Stock on most
None installed on my EVO by default.
I get there are pluses and minuses to task killers, but if used intelligently, they don't cause grief. I use mine to manually kill pointless pre-installed memory hogs on my EVO like Footprints. Never had any issues doing that. And, contrary to reports, that pos app doesn't get killed and clean up on its own. Each to their own I guess.
- 10-19-2010, 06:21 PM #112
- 10-19-2010, 06:22 PM #113
- 10-19-2010, 06:34 PM #114
- 10-19-2010, 06:54 PM #115
bought a fascinate in store, didn't tell me to install it, nor was it installed, or even mentioned.
The setup process was introduced to me, he asked if I wanted help doing voicemail, or if I was already familiar with the android platform. He told me if I had any issues, questions, etc., to give him a call or text on his cell.
- 10-19-2010, 06:56 PM #116
- 263 Posts
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
Nope. I put the stock "running services" short cut on one of the homepages of my Fascinate and just go there if I need to close out any apps running in the background. Nobody at the store ever mentioned installing a task manager, but I have read a number of posts on a number of forums over the past year of people telling others to install them. They're just not necessary and I think it boils down to a bunch of noobs spreading mis-information that's all.
- 10-19-2010, 06:56 PM #117
1. droid incredible, it was a Verizon local store
2. They installed it as soon as they started the phone, which i dont understand why they take liberties of installing things when that should primarily be up to you, without even asking you none the less. i uninstalled it immediately. also i asked should i do a hard reset and they said no. found that interesting
- 10-19-2010, 07:00 PM #118
- 10-19-2010, 07:06 PM #119
- 10-19-2010, 07:20 PM #120
- 10-19-2010, 07:26 PM #121
HTC Evo 4G from Sprint. Started playing with it as soon as it came out of the box. Even told the guy it was my second Android phone and I was vary familiar with how they work (I'm a programmer and working on writing a few apps for Android). He *still* said something like, let me setup some basic stuff for you, took the phone back and installed ATK before showing me how the Sprint TV worked. Never even said a word about installing the task killer, I just recognized the icon in the notification tray.
- 10-19-2010, 07:36 PM #122
- 10-19-2010, 07:53 PM #123
1. Droid X - Verizon - At the store on launch day
2. They didn't push or install it. However, I have seen them try to push it to other people. I intervened.
Some of these stories are ridiculous. I cannot believe how clueless some reps are. Selling phones is your job and every single rep should belong to a forum like this. They should know that Task Killers are bad for the phone. I love putting a VZW rep in their place when they try to tell me something about a Blackberry or Android device that is blatantly wrong.
- 10-19-2010, 07:58 PM #124
1. Droid x - Verizon - on launch day
2. The woman installed it and told me AFTER what she did.
When I questioned her based upon what I had read on some forums, she said, "Verizon wants it on all Android phones". That was enough for me to know to uninstall as soon as I left.
For My Wife:
1. Droid 2 - Verizon - Launch day.
2. Rep installed it on her phone as well (and she won't uninstall it just because she knows it irritates me ).
- 10-19-2010, 07:59 PM #125