Did a store rep install a task manager when you purchased your phone?

Did a store rep install and/or recommend a Task Manager?

• Total voters

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
HTC Evo 4G from Sprint. Started playing with it as soon as it came out of the box. Even told the guy it was my second Android phone and I was vary familiar with how they work (I'm a programmer and working on writing a few apps for Android). He *still* said something like, let me setup some basic stuff for you, took the phone back and installed ATK before showing me how the Sprint TV worked. Never even said a word about installing the task killer, I just recognized the icon in the notification tray.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
1. Droid X - Verizon - At the store on launch day

2. They didn't push or install it. However, I have seen them try to push it to other people. I intervened.

Some of these stories are ridiculous. I cannot believe how clueless some reps are. Selling phones is your job and every single rep should belong to a forum like this. They should know that Task Killers are bad for the phone. I love putting a VZW rep in their place when they try to tell me something about a Blackberry or Android device that is blatantly wrong.

john_5_24

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
For Me:
1. Droid x - Verizon - on launch day

2. The woman installed it and told me AFTER what she did.

When I questioned her based upon what I had read on some forums, she said, "Verizon wants it on all Android phones". That was enough for me to know to uninstall as soon as I left.

For My Wife:
1. Droid 2 - Verizon - Launch day.

2. Rep installed it on her phone as well (and she won't uninstall it just because she knows it irritates me :) ).

jecilop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
*Sprint Store
*3 phones - Evo and 2 Heros
* Rep just went ahead and installed without telling me then said they were needed to help with battery life. Installed atrackdog and one of the popular "Task Manager" apps.

I've learned through trial and error use and on here that they are actually bad overall both to battery and apps that you want to stay on like a set alarm clock which would mysteriously not work. I now use a single app like Auto Memory Manager which has been great for me! No problems since stopping the Task Manager use and battery works fine for my Evo and the others.

A friends recent Droid(original) update to 2.2 seemed to affect the battery. I think she had GPS turned on by accident. She took it to the store, and they just installed the Task Manager which didn't help at all. I set her up with Auto MM and Quick Settings for easy reference and she's good to go now :)

Azothyran

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I purchased my Droid2 from the Verizon store a few days after it came out. They offered to help me "set up the device" but I refused, saying I could handle it. I did notice Advanced Task Killer running on most of their Android devices they had on display though.

gt3dan

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
task killer

ok, as someone who worked for big red i first want to start off by saying that most (i'm guessing 80% or greater) of the people that work at the verizon stores have no more knowledge about computers and technology than my great grandmother. They are a bunch of sheep that mostly do what their told, first reason why the "task killer" problem even exists. Another thing that most people don't know because they aren't around verizon employees enough is that when one of those verizon employees doesn't know how to fix something, they panic start blaming the equipment or the software. Then they tell the customer that is upset they need a task killer or some other sort of software to fix their problem. I worked at 7 differnet VZW stores over my 3 year stint with the company and this happens with every type of smart phone. The other thing i guess i don't understand is why isn't everyone attacking the developers of this or these apps? You would think that google would want to take these apps out of that market place if they are hindering the performance of their OS...

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
  1. Verizon
  2. No. I guess they assumed I was tech savvy enough. (Mentioned I was a budding computer science major with an interest in programming.)

SpartanDroid

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
When I tried to take my Droid incredible to Verizon to get fixed for its contant lag and freezing issues. They had previously did a factory reset the day before because that was protocol he told me. Then after I came back i argured with a representative and the tech guy about why you don't need a task manager. They insisted for them to even look at my phone I had to have a task manager. So I left

aznhlfan

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
When I bought the Droid 2 at Verizon, the sales person did recommend it and install it for me. Everything was good, no problems, but I did read on Android Central to uninstall it, it will make problems worse. So as soon as I read it I did uninstall it and still no problems but the battery did increase from a half of day before to a full day, I just do the managing myself now, no big deal. Before I install any app, I now read about it on Android Central now.

powrman811

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I work for VZW and the reason a lot of reps install a task killer once the customer complains about battery life. Maybe a placebo affect.

imnuts

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I got my Fascinate as a replacement for several defective replacements of another device. "Ordered" it over the phone and the person I talked to seemed very knowledgeable about the Android devices that are currently available with VZW. They didn't recommend installing anything and just left me get it. A lot of that could be because I got it over the phone rather than in person though.

HumanMachine

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
1) If you purchased your phone at the store, which of the 4 major carriers did you buy your phone from: Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile or AT&T?

Verizon

2.) Did the store employee install and/or strongly recommend a task manager before you left the store?

He installed it himself. I left the store and uninstalled it right then and there. Was ATK

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon