Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Vlingo app is a 10!

Vlingo to me is the best speech recognition app I have used. I am very impressed with the various things that you can say and how they are executed within the app itself. Even though I think it's been out for a while(I think they used to charge for it) I see people still don't know about it, hence why I am writing this. I've been putting everyone I know on to it and they all love it. Check it out and let me know what you think.
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,747 Global Posts

Loving the app. I wished it worked with the swype keyboard though.

So they no longer charge for it?

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts

Great app, but it does have a couple of problems.

First, if you had Bluetooth enabled and opened the app, it won't recognize your voice. In my opinion, this should be a selectable option (especially for those of us without Froyo).

Secondly, it doesn't do a good job of filtering out road noise (I find I practically have to shout for it to initially pick up the Hey Vlingo at times).

Last complaint is that it only seems to recognize contacts by first name. If I say "Send Text James Wood", then it wants to send the message "Wood" to "James Wood".

I don't like that after a phone call, it doesn't return to Vlingo, and the screen will usually shut off.
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

If they can make it run in the background (with the red dot in the notification bar) this would make it utter and total win..

that and integrate music:

"Hey Vlingo! Play Album, Complexity of Light"

would be awesome.
    I'm a tech junkie with a weak spot for Good Music, Good Beer, and Excellent Coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by menno View Post
    If they can make it run in the background (with the red dot in the notification bar) this would make it utter and total win...
    Now we're talking!

How is Vlingo different than Google Voice Actions available with Froyo?

Scott
    Mine: Misc Flips -> LG Env -> BB 8330 -> BB 9530 (S1) -> DroidX -> Droid Bionic!
    Wife: Misc Flips -> BB 8330 -> BB 9530 (S1) -> BB 9550 (S2) -> Droid X!
    Kids: Samsung Fascinate (2) --- Family: Rooted Nook Color (2)
    Ya just gotta LOVE how Android lets you customize your devices how YOU want them!

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.2 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by GlueFactoryBJJ View Post
    How is Vlingo different than Google Voice Actions available with Froyo?

Scott
    It runs on 2.1.
    "If you're going to kill the animal it seems only polite to use the whole thing." -Fergus Henderson

i can't seem to get the app to stop reading texts as they come in, i don't think vlingo is even running (at least it doesn't show up on task killer). any ideas?

Global Posts
    1,136 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - but Rooted

Open Vlingo and make sure SafeReader is not "on" - bottom right should not be a green bar.

You can also open up vlingo -> go to menu -> settings -> safereader settings -> uncheck "Play texts"
    Sprint LG G3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Apple iPad 3 (yes, I have one of those also)
    "kickstand4u" mobile kickstands for all mobile devices

Oh my! I rooted, xposed, and twrped my LG G3!
    Rock Solid and Almost Perfect!

Global Posts
    1,136 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - but Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by menno View Post
    If they can make it run in the background (with the red dot in the notification bar) this would make it utter and total win..

that and integrate music:

"Hey Vlingo! Play Album, Complexity of Light"

would be awesome.
    Then everyone would complain that it drains the battery too fast
    Sprint LG G3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (tweaked and rooted)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
    Apple iPad 3 (yes, I have one of those also)
    "kickstand4u" mobile kickstands for all mobile devices

Oh my! I rooted, xposed, and twrped my LG G3!
    Rock Solid and Almost Perfect!

I bought the paid version of Vlingo. No regrets, it was the best available at the time. But Google Voice recognition seems to be much improved over the last year until now Vlingo is pretty much unnecessary anymore.

I've been trying to convince my wife to start using Vlingo because she has a tendency to text while driving. It makes it easy for me to reply when I'm driving, but she's not having much luck getting it to recognize her voice. It won't even respond when she says, "Hey Vlingo" half the time. So her first impression isn't so great, but I use it all the time and love it.

On a side note, try asking it what one plus one is.

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

I just downloaded the app and i like it a lot. The InCar stuff is awesome. One weird thing that happens to me is that if i reboot my phone and launch Vlingo again, it acts as if it is the first time i'm opening the app and goes through all of the setup again, and resets any settings i put in.

Global Posts
    1,513 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

When I say something like Find Italian or Call Italian I get a bunch of places but they are in random distance order. Is there a way to order them so that it puts the closest first?

Instead of opening a new thread I will ask my question here. Is it possible to command Vlingo to dial or text a mobile or work phone. For example, if a contact has a work, cell and home phone can you command it to dial a specific phone or do you have to manually select it? Right now when I say a command the correct contact appears but then I have to choose the correct contact's number (if there are multiple). I've tried saying "mobile" or "work" at the end but haven't had any luck.