Welcome to the LiveProfile forum at Android Central!

LiveProfile

Developer
Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi Android Central!

LiveProfile as you may already know has moved into a public beta and is available in the Market. We are already getting an overwhelming response with very positive reviews. I am a regular lurker in these forums and see there is already a few of you using our app. We now have our own section in this forum which we will be regularly reading and responding in. If you have any comments, suggestions, feedback, problems, or bug reports please send them over to us here. We will do our best to stay active and help you out!

Thanks,
Phil

Feel free to follow us:
LiveProfile - Stay Connected
LiveProfile (LiveProfile) on Twitter
LiveProfile | Facebook

preview.png

Last edited:

briankeith513

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Just wanted to say great job so far! I'm a former blackberry messenger user, and this seems like it will be a top notch messenger app. I've been using Ping Chat, and Live Profile is already much better in every way, and its only in beta.

Reactions: LiveProfile

aamzalag

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
So far seems like a great app. Things i have noticed that are missing, the LED light notifications dont work for Motorola Droid for Chats. Also, thers no way to write a new sms to some1, as of now you can only reply to others who already have an sms chat open. Will there be a way to get sms notifications in liveprofile only? so i can start using that as my sole source of messaging?

and seems like a great app finally some1 got it right, so rock on. Last question, how much longer till the features like sending attachments and so on are going to be unlocked?

Thanks!

One more thing i forgot! Profile pictures dont work yet it seems. keeps telling me my picture wasnt put up. :(

Reactions: LiveProfile

LiveProfile

Developer
Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
So far seems like a great app. Things i have noticed that are missing, the LED light notifications dont work for Motorola Droid for Chats. Also, thers no way to write a new sms to some1, as of now you can only reply to others who already have an sms chat open. Will there be a way to get sms notifications in liveprofile only? so i can start using that as my sole source of messaging?

and seems like a great app finally some1 got it right, so rock on. Last question, how much longer till the features like sending attachments and so on are going to be unlocked?

Thanks!

One more thing i forgot! Profile pictures dont work yet it seems. keeps telling me my picture wasnt put up. :(

I am glad you enjoy it! We are working to get SMS ready for real world usage and expect it to be finished shortly. Right now if you didn't notice yet MMS is not working that is the primary reason we did not enable SMS by default. Yes LiveProfile will eventually be your sole source of messaging :p Sending attachments is also on our list we are aiming to have it completed by the end of the week.

Profile pictures should be working if you are still having issues please e-mail me support at liveprofile.com I would like to get this resolved for you.

Verapakill

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Love this app been using it for a week now and every update makes it better and better can't wait till it finally comes out for the other devices so they can join me in this fun

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm loving the app so far but heres a question which is not addressed and inquiring minds want to know:

Does liveprofile have it's own push servers? The app relates it's self to BBM which uses BIS/BES servers to push messages which is a great battery saver. I understand that SMS and MMS will come through the carrier network but what about the personal liveprofile messages?

push message capabilities, although possible, has been a big downfall of Android IMHO as not many chat client companies have implemented this, or implimented it properly into their app due to cost restrictions.

If the answer to this is no, maybe liveprofile could consider adding ADs to the free app to cover server costs and/or allow users to purchase the app which would pay for their server usage.

Thanks.

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Loving the app so far! Will you be incorporating groups as well like like on bbm? I'm asking about both group chat functions (more than 2 users in a chat) and also "interest" groups. Thanks and keep up the good work!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm liking the app so far. Wondering the same things as ksmith. If it hits the battery hard what's the point?

Looking forward to the SMS/MMS implementation, too, and I hope it gets to be as good as Handcent so I don't have to use two different apps for basicaly the same stuff.

drumzalicious

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
one thing I would say is to not put "Upgraded from your CrackBerry" on your website as it shows favoritism and as a developer making a cross platform application you should be a bit more neutral. So saying "Switching over from a BlackBerry?" instead of that would be a lot more professional IMO

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
ok well after some playing this app certainly polls. My phone, which typically gets me 2 days of light to moderate usage, went from 100% charge down to 7% in 6 hours. Additionally taking a look at the comments in the market you can see others are noticing it as well. The problem is a phone must function as a phone first, all other stuff is secondary. If the phone cannot maintain a charge, it's a $500 paperweight.

You have an awesome app so I'd like to make some suggestions and let me preface by saying i make them with all due respect.

- You really need to push not poll. This saves a ton on battery as the server is doing the heavy lifting and also means no need for a wakelock ;)
- With the suggestion above it means you may need to adjust your business model. Servers come at a cost, you have the initial purchase, maintenance, plus monthly charges of running them (power, broadband). the way BlackBerry gets away with this is by indirectly charging the customer straight through the carrier. When you purchase a BB you get a nice little BB tax of $20 or $30 thrown onto your bill which covers monthly use of the push servers for such things as email and BB messenger. You cant do this, nobody would pay an extra monthly fee so you will need to think outside of the box.

a) look into using admob and putting adds into the settings menus and other non-intrusive places. This should hopefully cover some of the costs.
b) Charge for the app upfront (this is in addition to the ad's). Charge a buck or two at the time of purchase.
c) Make it more than just Liveprofile messages and text. Add in some other services to make this a must have app such as facebook chat or gtalk which would also be pushed through the server. People would buy an app with facebook chat that does push for that purpose alone! I suggested gtalk as well because of its deep integration to google, with android getting as large as it is, gtalk is becoming more and more popular. The current gtalk app that comes with android is push, works beautifully, and barely uses battery.
d) Maybe think of a way to create a group license package that you could market to large companies which could help bring in lump sums of cash plus the additional exposure to the ad's (point a).

here is a link to an article which you may find of value.

Again great work. I hope to see this with push servers in the near future because i can easily see this becoming everyones "must have" application.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It says a lot to have a MOD suggest specifics to make the app better.

On a side note I haven't noticed that much of a drain on my battery.

I will pay more attention the next couple of days.

EDIT: Upon further research I discovered (with some help) it does keep a wakelock open 100% of the time. It has affected my battery. I got my info from spare parts and if the dev wants me to further investigate and work with them I will.

Last edited:

LiveProfile

Developer
Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm loving the app so far but heres a question which is not addressed and inquiring minds want to know:

Does liveprofile have it's own push servers? The app relates it's self to BBM which uses BIS/BES servers to push messages which is a great battery saver. I understand that SMS and MMS will come through the carrier network but what about the personal liveprofile messages?

push message capabilities, although possible, has been a big downfall of Android IMHO as not many chat client companies have implemented this, or implimented it properly into their app due to cost restrictions.

If the answer to this is no, maybe liveprofile could consider adding ADs to the free app to cover server costs and/or allow users to purchase the app which would pay for their server usage.

Thanks.

Great question! The app is heavily optimized to conserve battery life. We are in the process of implementing C2DM and creating a custom solution for our own push servers for users not using 2.2. We are not limited by cost it is just simply time. We are working around the clock bringing updates out almost daily. This is a number one priority at the moment implementing a robust push solution. Expect to see a major update in the upcoming days which will make the app go 100% push.

Reactions: KSmithInNY

LiveProfile

Developer
Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Loving the app so far! Will you be incorporating groups as well like like on bbm? I'm asking about both group chat functions (more than 2 users in a chat) and also "interest" groups. Thanks and keep up the good work!

Working on group chat functions as well. This is going to be rolled out in an update soon.

LiveProfile

Developer
Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
ok well after some playing this app certainly polls. My phone, which typically gets me 2 days of light to moderate usage, went from 100% charge down to 7% in 6 hours. Additionally taking a look at the comments in the market you can see others are noticing it as well. The problem is a phone must function as a phone first, all other stuff is secondary. If the phone cannot maintain a charge, it's a $500 paperweight.

You have an awesome app so I'd like to make some suggestions and let me preface by saying i make them with all due respect.

- You really need to push not poll. This saves a ton on battery as the server is doing the heavy lifting and also means no need for a wakelock ;)
- With the suggestion above it means you may need to adjust your business model. Servers come at a cost, you have the initial purchase, maintenance, plus monthly charges of running them (power, broadband). the way BlackBerry gets away with this is by indirectly charging the customer straight through the carrier. When you purchase a BB you get a nice little BB tax of $20 or $30 thrown onto your bill which covers monthly use of the push servers for such things as email and BB messenger. You cant do this, nobody would pay an extra monthly fee so you will need to think outside of the box.

a) look into using admob and putting adds into the settings menus and other non-intrusive places. This should hopefully cover some of the costs.
b) Charge for the app upfront (this is in addition to the ad's). Charge a buck or two at the time of purchase.
c) Make it more than just Liveprofile messages and text. Add in some other services to make this a must have app such as facebook chat or gtalk which would also be pushed through the server. People would buy an app with facebook chat that does push for that purpose alone! I suggested gtalk as well because of its deep integration to google, with android getting as large as it is, gtalk is becoming more and more popular. The current gtalk app that comes with android is push, works beautifully, and barely uses battery.
d) Maybe think of a way to create a group license package that you could market to large companies which could help bring in lump sums of cash plus the additional exposure to the ad's (point a).

here is a link to an article which you may find of value.

Again great work. I hope to see this with push servers in the near future because i can easily see this becoming everyones "must have" application.

Just saw this post after I responded. Thanks for taking the time to write that up. We are willing to do whatever it takes to make the user experience the best it can be. We don't want to delay message or content delivery as we are "live" profile so we are trying our best to provide a happy medium between the two. We are not really a fan of ads either on mobile phones as the screen is very limited in real estate. We don't want to charge users because its really not fun to pay for an app. We do have some ideas about the business model which we cannot really disclose yet ;) We are not going to change anything for the user so no one will need to worry.

LiveProfile is looking to be the one app you can't live without :cool:

Reactions: KSmithInNY

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Great question! The app is heavily optimized to conserve battery life. We are in the process of implementing C2DM and creating a custom solution for our own push servers for users not using 2.2. We are not limited by cost it is just simply time. We are working around the clock bringing updates out almost daily. This is a number one priority at the moment implementing a robust push solution. Expect to see a major update in the upcoming days which will make the app go 100% push.

Just saw this post after I responded. Thanks for taking the time to write that up. We are willing to do whatever it takes to make the user experience the best it can be. We don't want to delay message or content delivery as we are "live" profile so we are trying our best to provide a happy medium between the two. We are not really a fan of ads either on mobile phones as the screen is very limited in real estate. We don't want to charge users because its really not fun to pay for an app. We do have some ideas about the business model which we cannot really disclose yet ;) We are not going to change anything for the user so no one will need to worry.

I can't wait to see the updates. I like the app but that battery hit is a little too much for me.

EDIT: How about adding in copy/paste support?

anon(120)

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
I tested this out last week, and if it were using C2DM, I would use it all day, every day, and pay a good amount for it. But where it is now, it doesn't offer me anything more than what I can already get from Meebo. It offers a few more features than Meebo, and features that I wouldn't mind having, but I'm not going to sacrifice my battery to get them. And I hope that doesn't make it sound like I use Meebo or any IM client frequently, because I don't, and for one reason: battery drain.

Your app is great, but to me, it's just another multiclient IM app. I can use any number of apps in the market to stay logged into Facebook chat, MSN, and AIM if I want to, and they all do what I need them to do. I just never use them because of how badly they eat up battery.

If you provided the first multiclient IM app that utilized the C2DM service, you would have a grand slam on your hands here. If it worked, and worked well, I see no reason why I wouldn't pay $10-$20 for it. You say it's no fun paying for an app, but I don't mind paying for apps I use on a daily basis. You guys deserve some sort of compensation for your time and effort.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

Thank you for responding and I'm excited to hear liveprofile will get push. I look forward to the future of this app.

On a side note ... how about you PM me francesca's liveprofile id? Lol just kidding, unless you were gonna do it

LiveProfile

Developer
Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for responding and I'm excited to hear liveprofile will get push. I look forward to the future of this app.

On a side note ... how about you PM me francesca's liveprofile id? Lol just kidding, unless you were gonna do it

That's my girlfriend :) she does help out with support though if you look close enough her pin is posted on our Twitter.

We will not let anybody down push will be here real soon!

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
That's my girlfriend :) she does help out with support though if you look close enough her pin is posted on our Twitter.

We will not let anybody down push will be here real soon!

O'boy there goes everyone to twitter.lol
Im with ksmith here i love the app and can't wait for the updates.It doesn't seem to kill the sprint hero(running Froyo) battery as bad as the evo but it still up there.Once you get it all sorted out i can see me using this more then gtalk.

Thanks keep up the great work.

anon(120)

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
Color me excited for the addition of push. I can see this definitely being the app I can't live without, so long as it plays nicely with the battery.

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk Pro.