Is there a Chrome mobile browser?

raythepa

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I'm just wondering about the stock browser that comes with the Eris. Whose browser is it? An HTC browser? Is there a google Chrome mobile browser?

Thanks for your input:)

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm just wondering about the stock browser that comes with the Eris. Whose browser is it? An HTC browser? Is there a google Chrome mobile browser?

Thanks for your input:)

Not that I know of, but it's a great idea. Firefox and Opera are preparing versions for Android. Not sure when they'll be released, but soon, I think.

raythepa

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, thats what I thought. I did go to m.google.com and found a bunch of mobile apps from google. Not sure how many of them are unique for Android or how many are stock for the Android. I'm only a couple of weeks into this with my Eris so I guess I'll learn as I go.

redman213

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Chrome Mobile would be soo sick they should release it wish flash (when Flash is available on Android) and shove it in RIM's face.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Well now that you mention that and I think of it... the stock browser is a Google made browser so technically it is Chrome right? Maybe not officially, but it is a Google browser.

raythepa

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
So the stock browser is a Google product and not HTC...interesting but thats what I was kinda thinkin' too, but without the term "Chrome"...well...who knows

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
the stock browser is based on webkit isn't it? and it's made by google which should make it a mobile chrome in everything but name...

:)

graymulligan

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Its google's take on a webkit based browser (which the iphone and pre have as well, similar code underneath, different stuff on top). It's not chrome per se, but the top layer of code is made by the same folks. Or at least folks at the same general zip code. :)

No mobile chrome yet. I doubt there's much of a reason to make it really, the stock webkit based browser is pretty solid, if not for a few UI preferences.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
webkit is the rendering engine used to render pages, vs the gecko engine that firefox uses, trident for IE, and presto for opera

so far webkit browsers seem to be faster than gecko but firefox seems to have something new coming out which can leverage the gpu to render pages quicker. which, if it makes its way into their mobile browser, and a lot of newer phones having GPU's, could make things interesting.

so being that a division of google makes this webkit based browser for android, it's mobile chrome in everything but name and officialness.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch