ChromeMarks - Sync Chrome Bookmarks with Android Phone

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I use it and author is quick to respond to feedback and bug reports.

You forgot PRO: maintains original tree structure.

Last edited:
Reactions: chromemarks

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i just bought this app. it's AWESOME!!!

autosync all of your Chrome favorites/bookmarks from your PC to your Android phone. AWESOME!

and the lack of integration into Android Browser Bookmarks doesn't bother me at all. i just long press home key and get the Chromemarks App pop up when i'm in the Android Browser and i can easily bounce between bookmarks/favorites. AND it keeps the hierarchal folder tree structure.

SWEET!!!!!!

a bargain at $1.58!

ChromeMarks - Android app on AppBrain

Chromium Blog: Bookmarks Here, Bookmarks There, Bookmarks Everywhere

credo

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded it last night. This is awesome. I have a really extensive bookmark folder set up, so syncing it with my DInc is sweet.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

chromemarks

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi there, I'm the developer of Chromemarks.

Just a quick response to "JL-F1". As you mention, Docs is just used by Google to "virtually" display your bookmarks. They are read only and you cannot edit them in any way - they are merely retrieved from Google's sync database and displayed on the screen for you. ChromeMarks allows you to create, edit and delete the bookmarks. You can even update the icons as well - something that you can't do in chrome without deleteing and recreateing the bookmark.

Hope that helps answer!

Last edited:

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Two problems on my Evo:

1) It is only syncing only a few of my folders, the others are empty.
To be more clear, it seems like all the parent folders are listed but the bookmarks within are what is missing.
I tried setting up sync on chrome on two different computers.

2) I keep getting "No network connection found" when I press sync. It is set to use 3G, not just Wi-Fi, I doubled checked and the internet is working in the phone. I just got home tried it and got the error. So I turned Wi-Fi on and it synced. I then turned Wi-Fi off and it synced.

I also got it to work after a reset to default but then it did it again, 3 times. It still does it, very annoying.

EDIT: Okay looking at the information within Google Docs what is there matches on the phone so it is not ChromeMarks fault, sorry.

Why isn't Chrome syncing everything then I wonder...

The network issue is still there. Will this be addressed? Anyone else having this issue?

I found a new problem when tryng to edit or create a bookmark, it tries to sync but gives me an "Unexpected Responsetype: TRANSIENT_ERROR" I am on Wi-Fi just to try... Did the same on 3G after a phone reboot.

Requests:
-Can you please add an option to leave the sort order alone?
-Can you add a way that we can create a shortcut to a folder?
-Can you allow smaller fonts in the lists?

Last edited:

chromemarks

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Two problems on my Evo:

1) It is only syncing only a few of my folders, the others are empty.
To be more clear, it seems like all the parent folders are listed but the bookmarks within are what is missing.
I tried setting up sync on chrome on two different computers.

EDIT: Okay looking at the information within Google Docs what is there matches on the phone so it is not ChromeMarks fault, sorry.

Why isn't Chrome syncing everything then I wonder...

I can't answer that one myself. Personally I use Chrome on three different machines and Chromium on another. All these machines are running different versions of the software but all syncing the same account. I do notice that every now and then the bookmarks seem to be "stale". I've fixed it by disabling sync and then re-enabling it. This does seem to fix it, but a sprinkling of extra bookmarks suddenly get duplicated on all machines. I guess it's a failure somewhere in the process...? Please do let me know if you manage to fix this, or indeed what you try that makes no difference.

2) I keep getting "No network connection found" when I press sync. It is set to use 3G, not just Wi-Fi, I doubled checked and the internet is working in the phone. I just got home tried it and got the error. So I turned Wi-Fi on and it synced. I then turned Wi-Fi off and it synced.

The network issue is still there. Will this be addressed? Anyone else having this issue?

You're the first person to report problems with "no network found". As far as I know, I'm using a fairly standard way to check if there is an active connection - I actually lifted it line-for-line from the source code of the Stock Browser for Froyo. But that's no guarantee that it's reliable for other releases or devices. If you can send me a debug log with this error in it then I will be happy to see if there is anything I can change.

I found a new problem when tryng to edit or create a bookmark, it tries to sync but gives me an "Unexpected Responsetype: TRANSIENT_ERROR" I am on Wi-Fi just to try... Did the same on 3G after a phone reboot.

When Google returns a response type of "TRANSIENT_ERROR", this is the exact text in the documentation for it: "Something went wrong; try again in a bit". Now that ain't helpful at all (!) but the error comes back from Google itself so without them throwing me more of a bone, I don't know if/what I can do to help there. Sorry. If you can spot any kind of pattern, please do let me know.

Requests:
-Can you please add an option to leave the sort order alone?
-Can you add a way that we can create a shortcut to a folder?
-Can you allow smaller fonts in the lists?

1. Using the Google sort order will require storing even more data on the device. I've avoided doing this so far as I don't want to make a lumbering app. But I might be able to make an option where you can choose to have that extra info if you want and then the bookmarks/folders should be sorted the same as in your browser.
2. Yup, that's definitely on the todo list. But I don't know whether it should be a fancy widget (=new to me so might take a long time to code) or a simple shortcut to fire the app up in a specific folder?
3. Smaller fonts..? hmmm...I've had mails from users asking for the fonts to be made larger! All the fonts should be in dips, so the device res and screen shouldn't be an issue. But I could possibly make that another pref to choose the font size. I'll add it to the list.

Hope that helps!

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I can't answer that one myself. Personally I use Chrome on three different machines and Chromium on another. All these machines are running different versions of the software but all syncing the same account. I do notice that every now and then the bookmarks seem to be "stale". I've fixed it by disabling sync and then re-enabling it. This does seem to fix it, but a sprinkling of extra bookmarks suddenly get duplicated on all machines. I guess it's a failure somewhere in the process...? Please do let me know if you manage to fix this, or indeed what you try that makes no difference.

I will keep checking into this part.

You're the first person to report problems with "no network found". As far as I know, I'm using a fairly standard way to check if there is an active connection - I actually lifted it line-for-line from the source code of the Stock Browser for Froyo. But that's no guarantee that it's reliable for other releases or devices. If you can send me a debug log with this error in it then I will be happy to see if there is anything I can change.

It seems okay at the moment after a reboot, I will let you know if this error comes up again.

When Google returns a response type of "TRANSIENT_ERROR", this is the exact text in the documentation for it: "Something went wrong; try again in a bit". Now that ain't helpful at all (!) but the error comes back from Google itself so without them throwing me more of a bone, I don't know if/what I can do to help there. Sorry. If you can spot any kind of pattern, please do let me know.

This one is consistent every time I try to edit or add a bookmark. It gives this each time, I cannot add or change anything. Even sharing a bookmark into CM does it. This has to be fixed if it can be or the ability for me to add from the phone goes away.. i:(i

1. Using the Google sort order will require storing even more data on the device. I've avoided doing this so far as I don't want to make a lumbering app. But I might be able to make an option where you can choose to have that extra info if you want and then the bookmarks/folders should be sorted the same as in your browser.

So when you pull the data down it is already sorted? If it is not then just leave it in the order it comes in. Of course I don't understand how this works under AOS so... i:)i

2. Yup, that's definitely on the todo list. But I don't know whether it should be a fancy widget (=new to me so might take a long time to code) or a simple shortcut to fire the app up in a specific folder?

Just a shortcut to a specific folder would be great, at least at first! i:)i

3. Smaller fonts..? hmmm...I've had mails from users asking for the fonts to be made larger! All the fonts should be in dips, so the device res and screen shouldn't be an issue. But I could possibly make that another pref to choose the font size. I'll add it to the list.

Yes, I like small fonts, I like getting as much info on the screen as I can.
I think every program should always offer the ability to select the font used in a program along with its size.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, I always appreciate developers who seem to actually care.
BTW I plugged CM for you on another forum.

Last edited:

supafreak

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I keep getting an error, IO Exception while fetching a batch. Read Timed out. I have made sure that my account has access to synch. Any suggestions?

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
HEY!!! That last update fixed my "TRANSIENT_ERROR" problem. I think I am good now. Thanks for that! i:)i

Now to get the small request i:)i

Supafreak see if it helps your issue.

chromemarks

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
HEY!!! That last update fixed my "TRANSIENT_ERROR" problem. I think I am good now. Thanks for that! i:)i

Now to get the small request i:)i

Supafreak see if it helps your issue.

Thanks for the update, Paladin. Admittedly, I didn't change anything specifically around that part of the code, but I did tweak the way the programs communicates with Google fullstop. So I'm guessing those tweaks must have fixed it for you.

I'll move the "shortcut to a folder" request higher up the to-do list.. :)

Originally Posted by chromemarks
So when you pull the data down it is already sorted? If it is not then just leave it in the order it comes in. Of course I don't understand how this works under AOS so...

The data is returned from Google in update timestamp order. So the very first time you sync'd your bookmarks into Chrome they went in in order. But the moment you made your first change in Chrome, that order was broken. So Google added other attributes to the data to hold the ordering details. But I'm not too keen to keep adding more attributes as it will slow the app a bit. As mentioned, I'm looking into it as a possible user setting to say you are happy with this. At the moment, ChromeMarks sorts the data in alphabetical order (though before the fix just now in 20101030, it was case sensitive. Now the sort is case INsensitive).

Hope that helps.

I keep getting an error, IO Exception while fetching a batch. Read Timed out. I have made sure that my account has access to synch. Any suggestions?

Yes, the analytics have been showing a handful of these errors coming out. From the message, it sounds like Google hadn't responded within 20 seconds of your phone asking for data. There isn't much I can do here, but the last version had a tweak such that if you get an IOException, it tries the same thing again. If the release you are using is the 20101029 or higher then you'll have this built in. If you are still getting these messages then we've clearly failed to get a response from Google twice in quick succession.

Are you syncing via mobile network or wifi? Do you get other slowdowns while browsing on your phone normally..? (I only ask as for me T-mobile uk constantly give me time-out errors and I experience them often while browsing).

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
At the moment, ChromeMarks sorts the data in alphabetical order (though before the fix just now in 20101030, it was case sensitive. Now the sort is case INsensitive).

howard - very nice! i like the alphabet case INsensitive. now "eBay" shows up where it's supposed to and not at the bottom.

But I'm not too keen to keep adding more attributes as it will slow the app a bit.

yes - please keep the app as LIGHTWEIGHT and as FAST as possible! i hate big slow bloated apps! keep it simple! there is beauty in simplicity!

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE GREAT SOFTWARE!

chromemarks

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I've setup a community website now. You can see all the things on my to-do list and you can vote for the ones you do or don't want. You can suggest new ideas as well or raise bugs or feedback.

You can find it at hxxp:// chromemarks.userecho .com

Please don't vote "+1" for everything as that ain't gonna help work out what to do next!

Thanks.