How do I move the App Drawer Icon?

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I ask here because I understand that it is not a menu option rather it is a change of code. Before I spend a lot of time figuring it out, how difficult can it be?

Not only would I like to understand why it is not moveable but why does it have to be in such a prominent location? I am accidentally hitting it only to have to stop and exit that screen. It is also an option that I can't see myself using all that much.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What device do you have? Some UI's allow you to move the App Drawer icon, while others don't. You can try installing an alternative launcher like Nova, which I believe allows you to modify the location of the App Drawer icon.

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Moto G, I guess I neglected to mention this....
To give an idea how much I know about this, What is a launcher and how to I find the one that is being used? Is there a document that can tell me what and where everything is? Block Diagram? Flow Chart?

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Don't know what stock launcher is used on Moto G, but if you search for "launcher" in Google Play you will see a big list of available launchers. I know for a fact that Nova Launcher will allow you to move the app drawer icon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Click on the link embedded in my previous post for Nova Launcher. You can read the description, and try it out on your phone. If you don't like it, just uninstall it.

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok for Nova but help me realize something first. I imagine that the click will know how/where to install but where would I go to uninstall? Will it replace or uninstall something? Will there be something I will have to reinstall after uninstalling Nova if I were so to do?

I am only 2 days old with Android and smart phones at all. I just entered the 20th century by replacing a flip phone and that is all it was, a phone....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
An alternative launcher can always be uninstalled, or you can instruct the system to go back to your original stock launcher. Your original launcher will still be set up the way it was before you switched.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I am bringing a lot of desktop baggage here. I have to scrape out the inside of my scull to see what is happening.

So, It took less than a second to install from somewhere out there directly into my phone. The system knew all about my phone, knew where to install. Asked no questions. How scary is that?

I come from a time of IRQ settings and jumpers, every manual explained how to make backup copies onto floppy disks, and you had to do a low-level format of a hard drive that took an hour or two to do before you could use your system again. What is this world coming to?

Yes, I can move that App drawer!
I spent a little time getting my phone desktop (phone top? screen-top? What is it called?) icons back but this is no problem. The layout is sooo much better. I see that both launchers seem to be there.

I feel like I just discovered sex... :)

Mischief Managed.....

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you never used an alternative launcher before and have only been used to Windows, it can be pretty intimidating. But the launcher in Android is simply an app the system uses as an interface to present app shortcuts and widgets to you and allow you to arrange them and select them. You can have multiple launchers installed, and switch between them if you want. You can't uninstall the original system launcher--the worst you can do is clear its data in the Settings>Apps>All menu, which will essentially revert the homescreens to blank slates--but you can always repopulate them.

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
It looks as if Nova created two "icons" on my screen As good as Nova seems, these are strangely obnoxious (Large squares, one bright red, the other bright blue.) One says "Import from another folder" and the other says "Restore previous Nova".

If I delete these two, can the operations be reached through a menu somewhere?
Can I create a folder to store them?
Do I need these? What do they do for me?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to remove those from the homescreen. To access Nova's settings, bring up your App Drawer and look for Nova Settings.

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I guess that is my point. I looked around but did not see these two options in any list and wondered if I would be at a loss should I delete them.

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I looked at the guide and unless I am missing something, it seems vague. Not that I expect any manual to be totally complete and I don't mind exploring.

Is this an appropriate location to continue asking questions?
Should I start a new topic in this area?
Is there a better area?

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
It would be nice to know how this site works. I believe I have entered at least two comments here and they just seem to disappear.....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Was it on the website, or using an app? It's possible there was a problem with the server or with the connection at the time you composed the post and submitted it.

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
It was right here, just before I posted that last comment. I am sure it happened before. Here I am thinking that I posted a discussion and question but don't get a response. I go back and see this it is not there. At first I thought there was some clearing process and somehow it was not accepted but then that last note went up almost immediately.

Something burps, the message disappears. I am left with the feeling that I had asked the question. It only seems to happen when I forget to copy the message into the buffer before I hit submit.

I will think about it and try to reconstruct the message again.

Last edited:

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok, let me try this again. It is so hard to rethink a post that was so well constructed and then seemingly dumped. ):

I want to know if what I want to do with this phone is possible, very difficult, or worth learning how to do.

Separating the phone from all the game apps and toys, I wish to grab hold of what actually runs the phone and modify it. I wish to change how it answers calls, how it displays contacts, and to cure a few other annoyances.

I especially have an idea that will infuriate telemarketers and make automated calls obsolete. (Are there any venture capitalists in the house?)

Is this a place to get these discussions going?
If so, how, where?
If not, how, where else?

Thoughts appreciated.