Recording Internet Streaming Radio

Harvey Wallbanger

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site

Harvey Wallbanger

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Ask and ye shall receive! (Or the squeaky wheel gets the grease) - but either way I'm happy to report that RADIO RIP was updated this morning (10/28) and it now has a TIMER/SCHEDULER!

Why is this a big deal? Because this essentially lets your Droid act as a Tivo for Radio. For example, there's a jazz show called "Bird Flight" that comes on WCKR, the Columbia University radio station every weekday morning at 5:20 am - 7:00 am in my time zone. I'm usually asleep at that time, but now I can set RADIO RIP to record "Bird Flight" while I sleep and then I can listen to it later in the day at my convenience.

RADIO RIP lets you do that for four different shows. So I can also automatically record my favorite talk/political show too. (Well maybe. That show runs from 6 am - 9am and I'm not sure how Radio Rip handles simultaneous shows, but I'll test and report back.)

Being hypercritical as I am, I still have a nitpick with the scheduler. It doesn't yet allow for repeated events, so I'll have to reset it every night.
But maybe in the next update, Spartacus Rex, the developer, can add a function to repeat the recording on specified weekdays. And maybe even add a wake-up alarm too.

But for now, even without repeated events and alarms, this app stands unique in the Android market. Check it out!

Harvey Wallbanger

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Radio Rip was updated again today (11/2) to fix issues with Froyo losing schedule settings. The developer wrote me to say that the way Android handled background services changed with Froyo and that was causing some settings to be lost. Should be fixed now but he had to add a button to "shutdown" Radio Rip if you really want to terminate it (and don't mind losing your scheduled settings). Seems to me there ought to be a better way to handle this. I've asked him to look into saving settings to the SD card so they even survive a battery pull. So far he's been very responsive to bug reports. This is the third update in less than two weeks.

I don't understand why this app hasn't generated more interest. I seem to be the only person excited about it. Don't you guys realize this turns your phone into a Radio Tivo? And there's nothing else out there like it?

You can even record four different shows on different stations simultaneously!

If you tried an older version, give it another look. It's much better now.

kicko

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Wow, i'm going to check this app out! i love interent radio and sometimes i like to record things of interest. this sounds great!

whats the difference between lite and full?

Last edited:

Harvey Wallbanger

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
FULL lets you save your recorded shows to SD card. I think LITE keeps them in RAM only so they disappear if you shutdown the app.

I have a radio show that I listen to religiously (no it's not a religious show, that's just a figure of speech!) It's available over-the-air and nationwide. It has simulcast internet streams on various channels. Because it's a very popular show, a lot of its network affiliates are starting to get wise to people like me and have wrapped their internet simulcasts up in proprietary players or Flash players that won't work with Radio Rip (yet). And they want to charge a subscription fee for on-demand streams of the show. But with a little bit of detective work I was still able to find a plain vanilla mp3 stream for the show on a small town low-budget radio station. Now with Radio Rip I can listen to the show at my own convenience and without paying a subscription fee. :>

Last edited:

ksatta

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I developed an app just for one purpose: it records internet radio automatically and then you can listen to the stations offline. It's now in beta, mainly I have to still tweak the UI for all screen sizes and resolutions.

zRadio:
- Supports all formats supported by your phone. For example OGG is supported in Android 2.3+.
- The recordings are lossless (same quality as the station is sending). Only some lossless changes are done to some formats.
- etc

You can check it out at https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=com.ksatta.irop&token=xIEHFpMJ

vja4Him

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I tried zRadio on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3, but it's not compatible with Capital Public Radio. So this app will not work for me.

I have found these two apps to work, but I would rather record directly from the Internet, and NOT from the microphone ....

>>> Smart Voice Recorder
>>> HiFi Corder Audio Record Edit

I am running JellyBean 4.3

Shuck N Jive

Feb 18, 2018
Visit site
I internally record iheartradio stations on Android using Firefox add-on Grab Any Media. Just google the station you want and press the arrow to listen live. I haven't found a way to stop it, so I close the tab and force close Firefox, then goto my Download folder and rename the part file to .mp3 and presto, you've got a great recording.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87