Does this exist

sleblanc1976

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, I have been a pre central addict since I got my Pre plus a while back but am considering the jump to Android for several reasons..

I am wondering if something like this idea exists (sorry if it is a dumb question/idea)

As we all know, cellular data drains the battery much faster than wifi..Basically when I am home and on Wifi I would like to have more widgets/apps pulling data than when I leave the house..

So what I am was wondering if there were some sort of profile type app that allowed you to turn on more or less data intensive features based on if you are on wifi or 3g?

Thanks for your time.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
some android devices (the x and droid 2, for example) have a battery manager in them that allows you to limit when data is being pulled on your phone.

the biggest profile app you might be on the lookout for is called locale. it costs $10, but it is a very extensive profile app that allows you set profiles for almost anything on your phone based on your geographic location.

a lot of apps also have controls in the app that allow for more data intensive features when on a wi-fi network rather than having to them on 3g (minor example being google listen, which will auto-download podcasts on wi-fi, but you can set it not too on 3g)

sleblanc1976

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the extensive answer, it sounds like android really has some ways to address battery life.. When I brought my battery issues on the Pre forums the only answers were to turn my data off :(

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Id check out tasker too. Cheaper, and supposedly better than local. Never used local, but love tasker.

Sent from my phone. Ignore the typos.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey