This 8pen Keyboard They just released... [eh]

ClassaN0va

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
How do I explain it?

First: It's $1.58 in the market, no free trial.

Its NOT swype, not swiftkey, it's not... really a keyboard. Maybe I have to watch this tutorial like 15 more times. Maybe I need a refund. I've given a chance to most of these keyboards.. I just want the ability to change keyboards, like switching them automatically when I use them.

Portrait: Swype
Landscape: Multitouch Keyboard
Keyboard Open: Swiftkey/Multitouch Keyboard

Sounds sad right? I agree we should have just one keyboard..but a keyboard switcher would be the best thing instead of this app....

Opinions?

ectoren

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
You bought it? I was hoping for free trail.
It just seems one major block is learning where the letters are located.
Is the app at least well made?

SenenCito

May 17, 2010
Visit site
just bought it and starting to try it out.

It will take a bit getting used to the layout but I think it may actually be quite good.

miniZ

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I also bought it.

I am looking for something as I have lost my swype touch lately. Even am considering a phone with a hard keyboard.. there just isn't one that is a true upgrade to my N1. It does seem the biggest issue I have is learning the location of the letters. I find that once I discover that, I could be using this keyboard primarily. I am going to force myself to use it for a week.
I do like the gesture feature; I have a phrase I use a lot, so having that quickly drawn out is nice. I will have to come back and tell of my progress, but I will stick with it for now.
The app is very smooth. It has a tutorial built into the app that helps with training. And, it locks other people out of using my phone, which is nice. :)
But, it is well made, and works as shown. Just a steep learning curve to try and tackle.

anon(120)

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
You tap the black circle in the center.

I don't think I could ever get used to this keyboard. It just seems like such an abstract method of entering text.

I'd like to time the developer(s) of this keyboard as they type out a full sentence. If they can type faster than me using Smart Keyboard Pro, I will eat my Evo for dinner.

Last edited:

ectoren

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Ok. So. I bit and took out my wallet. ;)

Well made. But. Three -'s:

1. You have memorize the lay out of the letters, etc. I kept looking under the finger to see where the characters were.

2. You have to memorize a)how many spaces to go and b)which way (clockwise or counter-).

3. Word prediction wouldn't be a bad idea....at least I didn't see that option.

xiaosong

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Pressure threshold

Is anyone else able to get the uppercase pressure threshold setting to work? I have a droid and despite changing the different pressure settings, I can't get the letter to be uppercase.

phillysdon04

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I just tried it on my evo & it is a major learning curve but once I memorize the patterns it will be a great option. Also this would be a great keyboard for the pre since that os requires swiping.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
There's a major learning curve involved, but the idea, I think, is sound.

The developer has a good point: the QWERTY wasn't designed for small, on-screen keyboards. This has potential, and I'll probably keep it so I know when it is updated. I won't be abondoning my QWERTY keyboard yet, BUT this shows promise, and it is very innovative, to say the least.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I'll try it I suppose for no look typing situations... Is there a keyboard where we can just draw out the letters? Again I'm thinking for something where I can type without looking.

imsofinite

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't know that this will ever be quicker than a keyboard like Swype, or even the Android keyboard. I've been using this all day, and for the most part have memorized its layout, but still have trouble with consistent flow. The keyboard is certainly a challenge, and sort of fun to use, but again not as fun as Swype. I'm going to give it the rest of the week and then pass final judgment.

Corey

Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
I bought it. It's dirt cheap and seems pretty interesting. I have on and off days with Swype. Some days I can bang out a quick text or email with little thought. Other days, it seems like Swype gets every damn word I try to put in completely wrong. On those days, I like having options. I've played around with 8pen so far and set up a few custom gestures. I think it's got real potential. Their assertion that it's intuitive is way off. Learning letter placement is going to be a real pain in the butt, but I figured out a regular keyboard, I'll figure out this one. I do think that it'll be a quick keyboard once the letters are learned and I've had some time using it. I think dedicating a week to using just that keyboard would really show how effective it is and how steep the learning curve is.

Aspiring Developer

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I tried it out. I love it. It makes a lot of sense. So it has a learning curve. What did you expect? Work with it. Train yourself. Practice making 'a' the 'b' then 'c' ...etc. learn the common simple words. Just do them over and over. Repetition is ALWAYS the key to these things. Keyboarding is just like doing scales on a musical instrument. If you want to get good set up a discipline to really aid your learning and apprehension of the device. You might especially love the write your own gestures feature. My weird initials is now a gesture that types out my name in full.
Me? I'm in love with it.

CONS: the delete key deletes way too fast in the second stage PLUS it has been funky on occasion where it didn't stop (deleted everything). Desperately needs an undo key for that problem.

Last edited:

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
One thing that I don't get is that they say it's more like handwriting opposed to typing.

I don't know about everyone else, but I can type several times faster than I can write, so I'm not sure how that's a positive description...

Reactions: mypie

kicko

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
One thing that I don't get is that they say it's more like handwriting opposed to typing.

I don't know about everyone else, but I can type several times faster than I can write, so I'm not sure how that's a positive description...

I agree, I'm not sure how this really is helping. I'm not boo hooing the idea of this but its not going to "take the world by storm".

For me the fastest I can type is using swype followed by default keyboard in landscape view.

DisplacedMic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

this is true on a computer - but can you type on a touch screen phone faster than you can write? i sure as hell can't.

don't get me wrong - i'm sure there are LOTS of people out there who can, but i bet you're all younger than i am ;p

Reactions: moosepath

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
this is true on a computer - but can you type on a touch screen phone faster than you can write? i sure as hell can't.

don't get me wrong - i'm sure there are LOTS of people out there who can, but i bet you're all younger than i am ;p

Definitely. :) It's a single tap to type a letter on a virtual keyboard, so I don't get where a tap + gesture (gesture + tap?) could possibly be faster.

Now factor in a keyboard like Swiftkey which can eliminate 15-20% of keystrokes, it's even faster.

I suppose the 8Pen could have an advantage if you must type with one hand, but for me personally, that occasion is far too rare to warrant an additional input method.

Reactions: DisplacedMic