Facebook 1.4

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
In case people didnt know there is a new update to the facebook app in the market right now

Just posting this so everybody can post their facts and findings in one thread.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Just updated. Nice to see some Android love, and notifications now open in the app (Thank you, Flying Spaghetti Monster!). Places and Groups are nice. I still use Foursquare and not Places, but still...nice to have.

Still no chat though, and notifications still only include messages, friend requests, and event invites: still no notifications for replies to my posts, which is just a very very odd ommission. :(

I am not familiar with the iPhone version for comparison, but I believe it has chat, right? Anything else we're missing compared to it?

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Ya the iPhone version does have chat. I just hope that the notification system actually works on the Android version.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ya the iPhone version does have chat. I just hope that the notification system actually works on the Android version.

^ See above. Notifications open in the app now (and not the browser) but they are still missing (IMO) the most important ones, which are replies to your posts, or replies to posts you've commented on. Only notifications are Friend Requests, Event Invites, and Messages. Lame. Guess I still have to keep Bloo around just for notifications and chat.

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
^ See above. Notifications open in the app now (and not the browser) but they are still missing (IMO) the most important ones, which are replies to your posts, or replies to posts you've commented on. Only notifications are Friend Requests, Event Invites, and Messages. Lame. Guess I still have to keep Bloo around just for notifications and chat.

Ya I know they are in the app, I meant that we actually get them in the status bar of our phones. This update seems to be a big improvement over the previous versions of the app but until we get chat and a proper notification system the app wont live up to its potential. I still like he notifications on BB the best.

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It is a step in the right direction, but we REALLY need:

- PUSH Notifications!!!!
- Chat
- Support for managing pages

iPhone app does all of this and more..... sure hope we aren't waiting another 6 months for an update with these features, since Zuck said that the Android app and iphone app will be right on par with each other...

I'm happy for an update, but I was expecting just a little more than this.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't care as much about chat as I do notifications, but agree. I have Bloo installed specifically for notifications (it also does chat, but I don't use it often). The rest of Bloo sucks IMO though, but at least the notification system works.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ya I have Bloo 1.5 on my phone too but that app went from great to meh over the past few months.

Yeah...I don't use it for anything except notifications in my notification bar. I will uninstall it as soon as the "real" app gets real notifications. Can't believe that's not in this app.

I thought I had read that Zuckerberg uses an Android phone now. If true, that should make them be pushing hard to get this on par with the iPhone version, at least. After all, you don't get to 500 million friends without wanting a decent Facebook app.

as4life

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
For anyone wanting notifications definitely give F Plus a try. Dev keeps improving on app and is gonna add push notifications soon.

kicko

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Notifications should have been there since day one. WTZ

I use tweetdeck for my notifcations it seems to do pretty good.

as4life

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I tried that app and deleted very quickly. Bloo did a better job for me and its free.

When's the last time you tried it? There has been alot of updates. used to use Bloo but probably 60% of the time i clicked on a notification, it would say unavailable.

Lynx

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Dev just updated app today. He probably updates quite frequently. I would say give it another shot now or wait til he implements push notification which should be soon.

If he gets push notifications and the lets me view the notifications in app than I will re-install it for sure :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton