Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi all -

Just looking to see if anyone else's experience with the WD Photos app is the same as mine. The forum at WD for their Photos app is pretty sparse so it appears not many people use it. I've included my experience with the MyBook itself to give some perspective.

I use a WD MyBook World Edition, have had it maybe a year, and in general its been a buggy, unsupported device from WD (my opinion). Any ways, I downloaded the WD Photos app to see if maybe it could be a bright spot in an otherwise bad experience with the MyBook.

About 6 months ago I had disabled Mionet and other services running on the drive to simply use it as a NAS that I could put TimeMachine backups on and also as a second backup for photos (I no longer use it like this). It has run more reliably since, but not 100%. To get WD Photos to work, you do need Mionet up and running so I had to re-enable that service. Since then my drive has been "unresponsive" every few days.

On the app side, it was really easy to setup. Just login to your Mionet account and you can connect to any Mionet devices you have registered. Oddly though, it looks like it will take a week or longer to generate thumbnails or whatever type of cache it sets up to display all photos on my Incredible. Every day I reset the app's cache and I see more photos so I know it is chugging along, but man it is slow! Also, when the drive goes unresponsive, there is no way to restart Mionet from the app or to reboot the drive from the app. You have to be connected to the local network, access the drive, and restart the services or reboot the drive. Kind of defeats the purpose of being able to remotely access your photos, or files in general if you use the web based Mionet.

Any ways, anyone else using this app? Same experience as me?

s2android

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi, For every 3 minutes WD Photos app checks the NAS side photos database and downloads the new photos, if any new photos exist. We don't need to clear the cache on App side. Can you verrify whether your NAS has the latest firmware and uses MioNet 4.3.0.8?

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi, For every 3 minutes WD Photos app checks the NAS side photos database and downloads the new photos, if any new photos exist. We don't need to clear the cache on App side. Can you verrify whether your NAS has the latest firmware and uses MioNet 4.3.0.8?

Hi there,

When I check for new firmware from the MyBook it says no new firmware is available. Oddly enough, the firmware version of the MyBook I have is newer than the latest version found on WD's website. I.e. the latest firmware version available for the MyBook on WD's website is 1.01.16, but my drive is running 1.01.18. However nothing on WD's website says that 1.01.18 exists.

As an FYI, in the WD forums there is a post claiming new firmware is available for the MyBook, but I can't seem to find it. The link referenced in the post takes you to firmware 1.01.16 which is still older than my firmware. (New Release - Firmware Version 1.02.04 for My Book... - Western Digital Community)

Version from the MyBook says "01.01.18 with MioNet 4.3.0.8 built on Wed Dec 2 15:55:04 CST 2009"

I've been resetting the cache on the app side because of a post I saw in the WD forum for WD Photos. I don't recall the title of the post, but it basically said if you can't see all your photos, reset the cache using the app settings.

Last edited: