Opera Mobile v10.1 Beta For Android [Inside]

ClassaN0va

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Opera Mobile v10.1 Beta For Android (freeware)
Requirements: Android
Overview: With the award-winning Opera Mobile browser you can surf the same Web sites on your mobile phone as you do on your personal computer. The Opera mobile Web browser is designed with speed and ease-of-use in mind, so you can surf the Web with your mobile phone quickly and easily. No hassle, just fast browsing.
deGV2.png

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
its alright. it compresses the pictures like crazy (and no option to turn it off)

You're running Opera Mini, not Mobile. Trust me, I know, I made the same mistake. Opera Mobile doesn't use the Turbo option by default, and it is an option.

That said, I see absolutely no reason for this thing's existence. Rendering is poorer than both the stock browser and those based on it (Dolphin, etc). The speed is not impressive after page loads, often taking seconds to load content after scrolling or switching orientation. Even more often, images fail to load correctly. There's no support for Flash (unlike the webkit-based browsers) and there's no support for extensions (unlike Firefox). Tapping when zoomed out will always zoom in first, even if you just want to click a link. It causes many sites to load OLD WAP mobile versions, which look terrible.

All in all, Opera's main call to fame was speed and compatibility, and frankly, this falls short on both.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

That said, I see absolutely no reason for this thing's existence. Rendering is poorer than both the stock browser and those based on it (Dolphin, etc). The speed is not impressive after page loads, often taking seconds to load content after scrolling or switching orientation. Even more often, images fail to load correctly. There's no support for Flash (unlike the webkit-based browsers) and there's no support for extensions (unlike Firefox). Tapping when zoomed out will always zoom in first, even if you just want to click a link. It causes many sites to load OLD WAP mobile versions, which look terrible.

All in all, Opera's main call to fame was speed and compatibility, and frankly, this falls short on both.

Totally agree. I'm waiting for the version that include hardware acceleration. Right now, this Mobile is not much better than it's Mini version and a bit behind other browser options.

Doc

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Looking at the comparison between Opera Mobile and Opera Mini, it seems that there are really only to differences.

1. Compression is standard in Opera Mini but is an option in Opera Mobile

2. Opera Mobile has a full rendering engine while Opera Mini does not.

(Note that flash is only partially supported for Windows Mobile only)

This was taken from the Opera site Opera Mini & Opera Mobile browsers - Features

I am not sure if the difference between Mini and Mobile will make a difference for anyone who uses the browser unless you do now want compression which would translate to longer load times. I would think that having a full rendering engine would make the websites better visibly but have not yet tried it.

Doc

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Overall, I really like the layout of the browser, and it has some very slick animations, and I am a sucker for slickness. However, I stopped using it after a day because it cannot properly render even the most basic and most frequently used Websites on the internet. The google homepage and google search pages render wrong. That is ludicris in my opinion. Also, facebook did not render right, and that is the 2nd or 3rd most visited site on the internet. Combine all that with the lack of flash support has made me go back to the stock browser.

If the rendering problems are fixed, I will likely use it, even with the lack of flash, just because it felt very comfortable to use.

I hope google implements some of GUI features that opera mobile has because I find them very, very convient. A mobile port of Chrome would be awesome too.

Mike77

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
It isnt bad, I love Dolphin but there are a few sites where It does not let me log into. This Opera seems too. The rendering can be a little fuzzy. And one thing that is a minor gripe, it is too sensitive to scroll left and right when you are trying to just scroll down on a page. Needs improvement but a good start for something that just hit the market.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1