My Problem with Google Voice/Hangouts Integration

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Saw a post today about why you should keep the GV app installed (so you can call via Google Voice from the standard dialer).

For reference, I use my GV number for work calls/texts (freelance photography) and my SIM # for personal calls/texts. I use GV for all my voicemails (both for my GV # and SIM #).

The thing I noticed after I switched GV to Hangouts is that (and this may be specific to the way I use GV) the automatic reply, where it chooses to text from your GV or SIM # based on what was last used with that contact. (i.e if someone texts my GV #, when I reply, it comes from my GV#)

So if someone texts my GV #, and I respond via hangouts, it sends via my GV#. Perfect.
Same for those who text my SIM # and get a reply, it shows as coming from my SIM #. Also perfect.

However, I use GV as my Voicemail for both my SIM and GV number. So if someone calls my SIM # and leaves a Voicemail (which now shows up in line with texts in Hangouts), if I try to text that person back (ex: "I'll call you later), the only option is to text them via my GV # (because that is where the voicemail went), unless I go to settings and switch back to my SIM #. In that case, once I've texted them, I then have to go back into settings and change it back to auto.

Normally in Hangouts, if you are texting someone who uses SMS and Hangouts, there is a little icon to the left of the text field that you can use to switch between Hangouts and SMS. Perfect, everything is in one thread, and it's easy to switch between SMS and IM. But GV isn't included in that list. So, for instance, when I am texting someone, I don't get an option to switch over to GV or back to my SIM # in the middle of a thread. Basically, if someone leaves me a Voicemail, my only option is to either text them back from my GV # (regardless of which of my phone #'s they called), or disable GV/Hangouts integration.

The other issue I've noticed is that when I set Hangouts to receive my Google Voice calls, and some calls my GV #, the Hangouts dialer pops up and prompts me to answer/deny the call, then a few seconds later, the standard dialer pops up asking me the same thing. If I answer the call using the standard dialer, Hangouts dialer shows a missed call. If I manage to answer the phone using the Hangouts app before the standard dialer pops up, then the standard dialer will pop up right after I answer the call, and ring while I'm on the phone. Total chaos!

For those reasons, I've disabled integration and basically nothing has changed for me. Still using the GV app separately from Hangouts for texts and VM.

Anyone else have any issues with the way Google has implemented Hangouts/GV?

k9cop

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I really hope that they get it figured out soon. I've been a GV user since I begged for an invitation so many years ago. I liked the idea of combining it with Hangouts, but like with most things Google, it might look good on paper, but not so practical. Surely an update will roll out soon enough.

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
...Normally in Hangouts, if you are texting someone who uses SMS and Hangouts, there is a little icon to the left of the text field that you can use to switch between Hangouts and SMS...

Noticed I got an update and now this feature is gone. GRR

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Noticed I got an update and now this feature is gone. GRR

The icon is still there for me, but only when I'm in a thread with someone I've been texting from my SIM number, who also uses Hangouts.

If I'm texting someone (using Hangouts app) from my GV #, there is no option to switch to SIM or Hangouts. For me at least, the integration is more frustrating than when they were separated.

N33k5

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey I know this more about the texting but has anyone else had issues with calls via gv? I keep being told "we called but no one answered" yet I don't have ANY missed calls ANYWHERE from them let alone a voice mail. What is worse is it isn't all calls made to my gv number it seems sporadic and that it mostly affected by businesses calling. What is really weird is tonight I tried to make a call through the native dialer routing my call through gv and I couldn't get it to ring more than twice so I switched settings in the gv app to ask every call so I could try using my Sim number and had no weird silent 'dialing'. Sorry for being Windy I know Peter isn't here, but I just want to know if anyone else has the same problem.

Sent from my Nexus 4