Lookout or Wave Secure: which one? Or neither?

JustLeft

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I work at a financial institution. When the screaming started it did not go over well - fortunately there were no customers within earshot at the time. It was the first phone that almost turned into a career limiting device.

I have actually heard of this happening to a couple different people now with Wavesecure, which has made me sorta reluctant to continue using it. I can just imagine how well that would go over with my commanding officer if this happened in the middle of a formation or something...

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
lookout, been using it since WinMo days. use it more for the location and backup than i do for anti virus protection. Thats just eye candy to me.

Grimmy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Until today I used both.

I was grandfathered in with Wavesecure - As a beta tester, we got the premium account for free for life. I was a tad concerned when McAfee bought it, but they honoured the free premium account and all was okay. I've never had to use it to lock my phone, but I like the peace of mind and the anti-uninstall feature is an interesting idea.

I installed Lookout after seeing Jerry's review on AC. I find it useful for locating my phone if it's fallen down the back of the couch or something by making it scream. I also like the App scanning.

Today I installed an update for Lookout and Wavesecure suddenly popped up saying that Lookout is incompatable, please uninstall Lookout.

Nasty. I wonder if there is a legitimate reason why they are incompatible, or if McAfee is just being anti-competitive?

In anycase, It is Wavesecure that has been uninstalled for now. It may be time to invest in a Lookout premium account...

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
ok i am now a believer. i have installed Lookout for the "find my phone" feature. my phone is my lifeline and if it is lost or stolen this feature is critical.

Lord Vader

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Until today I used both.

I was grandfathered in with Wavesecure - As a beta tester, we got the premium account for free for life. I was a tad concerned when McAfee bought it, but they honoured the free premium account and all was okay. I've never had to use it to lock my phone, but I like the peace of mind and the anti-uninstall feature is an interesting idea.

I installed Lookout after seeing Jerry's review on AC. I find it useful for locating my phone if it's fallen down the back of the couch or something by making it scream. I also like the App scanning.

Today I installed an update for Lookout and Wavesecure suddenly popped up saying that Lookout is incompatable, please uninstall Lookout.

Nasty. I wonder if there is a legitimate reason why they are incompatible, or if McAfee is just being anti-competitive?

In anycase, It is Wavesecure that has been uninstalled for now. It may be time to invest in a Lookout premium account...

Just like on a PC, installing one antivirus or Internet Security program when another is also presently installed is not wise. Incompatibility problems are one issue that often arise.

Grimmy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Just like on a PC, installing one antivirus or Internet Security program when another is also presently installed is not wise. Incompatibility problems are one issue that often arise.

That's because they use the same kernel hooks.

If I am using Lookout for the Anti-malware feature (which Wavesecure does not have) and the Scream feature (which Wavesecure does not have) then there shouldn't be a problem. Obviously if I tried to used both apps lock or locate features at the same time then there is potential for issue.

(and infact after reinstalling Wavesecure and doing a bit of testing, the only issue I have experienced is the Wavesecure notification everytime there is a Lookout update.)

The thing that slightly irks me about this, is the notification started appearing around the same time McAfee launched an additional product that scans for malware. Now call me cynical, but something smells funny there :p

statdoc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the Sprint Family Locator active on all of my family member's phones. In seconds, a map pops up with the location of the tracked phone. I can't make it scream, remotely wipe, or other things. Just not sure what advantage the other programs would be.

tazman1963

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I've had lookout premium for over a year now and I can say it is worth every penny I pay for it, it gives me peace of mind and has found my phone accurately several times, I say hi for it!

Sent from Looney Tunes Central!

statdoc

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had lookout premium for over a year now and I can say it is worth every penny I pay for it, it gives me peace of mind and has found my phone accurately several times, I say hi for it!
Not to be argumentative, but that is my point, in a way. If most people use these apps primarily to find their lost phones, I already have that capability via the Sprint Family Locator app, accessible via computer browser or phone app. I am doubtful the other capabilities of either program are worth the space/CPU time/$.

Grimmy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I use both apps for more than just to "locate my phone".

Wavesecure sends a text to your specified alternative numbers (e.g. your wife's) if someone has changed the sim card - this not only lets you know they have done that, but it also tells you the new number. Wavesecure also locks down the phone if you try to uninstall it.

Remote locking is useful to stop people accessing the data on your phone if you have left it somewhere or it has been stolen. Both apps do this. Wavesecure and the none-free version of Lookout can also back up your contacts, sms messages, call log and pictures - They can also do this remotely e.g. if your phone was stolen you could retrieve this data before you wiped it.

Wavesecure scans every app you install and detects malware like behaviour. (The free version does this too)

Finally, locating your phone on a map is no-use when your phone has fallen down the back of the Sofa and you left it on silent (for example) . That's what Wavesecures scream feature is for (and it's also in the free version).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid