Something wrong with google skymap

King Neptune117

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Whenever I point it at a celestial object, it is off by 15 degrees. It is also very like unstable, when I move it it is not smooth at all, it is like all over the place. Just a very shaky application. When I first got the phone it was great, but lately it has been very off.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem. Do I need to have anything on for the compass to recalibrate (like to I need to be in the app)? How long do I need to move it around for?

And when you say a "figure 8 motion" what do you mean? I can think of about a dozen ways to move the phone in a figure 8 motion: screen up towards the sky or facing me? Should I keep the top of the phone facing the same direction as I move the phone around or should the top of the phone follow the figure 8 like a train on a track (if that makes sense)?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Facing you..hold the phone like you're using it and do a regular figure 8.. not a sideways 8 like the infinity logo, just a regular figure 8. Start at the top and do it a few times.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Huh, have to try that. I've wondered how we calibrate since my gps needs calibration. And noticed the same thing when looking at the night sky...

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I've wondered how we calibrate since my gps needs calibration.
How do you figure that? There's no calibration for the GPS. If it's really off your probably not actually using the GPS receiver. GPS Status is a handy app for troubleshooting issues with your GPS receiver. IIRC it will also help with calibrating the magnetometer (compass) and pitch and roll.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
My REAL gps, dude! Sorry, wasn't clear on that. I carry a DeLorme unit in the woods and sailing, it has an ecompass and all that. So it needs calibration. That's what made me wonder about the Droid...surely it needs it, too...not the gps, of course, but anything using a compass or proximity setting, etc.