Favorite email app?

DrSuSE

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I beg the difference. I just got my MT4G a week ago. I have downloaded several photos I received on my Gmail. I do not have Blackmoon or any other apps similar to it.

You're probably previewing it and then saving it from the preview app (or it is image specific). But if that device somehow has some special secret GMail app... screenshot the process. I think you're mistaken, though.

Try with an unknown file type, or like... an Excel file or something.

The GMail app only previews attachments, it has no direct save functionality... at least the standard Market versions available (both the versions available to 2.1 and 2.2).

Edit: It is a pretty well documented limitation of the app, not some random discovery... lol. Remember, I am talking about the GMail app saving attachments... not just opening them to preview in some other app and THAT app saving the file.

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
You're probably previewing it and then saving it from the preview app (or it is image specific). But if that device somehow has some special secret GMail app... screenshot the process. I think you're mistaken, though.

The GMail app only previews attachments, it has no direct save functionality... at least the standard Market versions available (both the versions available to 2.1 and 2.2).

Edit: It is a pretty well documented limitation of the app, not some random discovery... lol. Remember, I am talking about the GMail app saving attachments... not just opening them to preview in some other app and THAT app saving the file.

When I click "Download" in the Gmail app, they are saved to the phone.

thezfunk

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I have an issue with the stock email app on my Samsung Fascinate telling me there are new emails where there are none (IMAP & Exchange). I will try K9 and see how that works.

reykjavik

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know if there is a way to compose a message in the gmail app with formatting like underline, bold etc... It only seems to be straight text.

sanibel

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site

Documented where?
I just sent from my computer a word document as an attachment. I opened the attachment, via Gmail app, using MyTouch 4G phone, with QuickOffice app (came free with my phone). Then pressed Menu >>> Save attachment >> SD Card >> Save! And now it is well documented ;)

DrSuSE

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Documented where?
I just sent from my computer a word document as an attachment. I opened the attachment, via Gmail app, using MyTouch 4G phone, with QuickOffice app (came free with my phone). Then pressed Menu >>> Save attachment >> SD Card >> Save! And now it is well documented ;)

Thank you for proving my point. You saved in QO. NOT in the GMail app. Nice to see that is all cleared up.

sanibel

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for proving my point. You saved in QO. NOT in the GMail app. Nice to see that is all cleared up.

True. But that is true in a regular desktop computer setting, no? Documents that were sent as MS Word attachments need to be open with MS Word (or compatible programs). I thought that was understood. And, by the way, photos can be saved directly from Gmail app, so we narrowed the issue to text attachments and such.

DrSuSE

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
True. But that is true in a regular desktop computer setting, no? Documents that were sent as MS Word attachments need to be open with MS Word (or compatible programs). I thought that was understood. And, by the way, photos can be saved directly from Gmail app, so we narrowed the issue to text attachments and such.

Haha, no... Generally speaking email clients can save attachments directly and offer the CHOICE the open them in another app (from which you might also save). This goes for desktop and mobile clients more often than not. For example K9, the mail client I use on Android allows this... so does Maildroid if memory serves. On the desktop common clients like Outlook, Thunderbird, Evolution, KMail, all do this. Even the desktop/full GMail site does this on a PC.

It isn't only text attachments, it's also many other common non-photo filetypes.

If you're saying it can directly save photos without having to open into the Gallery first... I will take your word for it. I haven't tested so I won't pretend I know.

DrSuSE

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
use Documents To Go for attachments (doc, docx, xls, xlsx, ppt, pptx) -

Documents To Go 3.0 Main App - Android app on AppBrain

Yeah, no question. I am sure there is in an app that will handle the association and saving of almost any format. I was merely saying that I thought Blackmoon (since it will strictly allow saving any file from the GMail app) was a great solution to what I believe is a strange shortcoming of the app itself.

sanibel

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Generally speaking email clients can save attachments directly and offer the CHOICE the open them in another app (from which you might also save). This goes for desktop and mobile clients more often than not. For example K9, the mail client I use on Android allows this...
Gotcha. I also use K9: Confirmed.
If you're saying it can directly save photos without having to open into the Gallery first... I will take your word for it.
Yep, I tried it and it worked.

bbernardini

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Anybody know of a mail app that let's me choose between deleting messages just on the phone or deleting them on the phone AND the server?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01