Is DoubleTwist Music Player good enough for audiophiles?

anon9014819

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
On my phone I only listen FLAC rips of my CD's and I even have one vinyl in my digital collection. I don't use any streaming services because in Finland there currently is no lossless solution. Now and then I buy an album from Bandcamp.
I haven't really paid much attention to the app I'm using, I've only made sure that the application supports FLAC. I installed DoubleTwist Music Player because it is generally considered a best looking music player on Android. I didn't know that the playback quality can vary, because of that I'm considering Neutron Music Player.

What are your thoughts? Do all music players have identical playback quality?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Since the music is recorded and played back digitally, there's no difference in the quality of the basic playback. It's what the players do to that signal that changes what you hear. Poweramp has always been a good player, but with my ears cutting off at 4KHz these days (about 110db loss from there and going down as the frequency goes up), I couldn't tell the difference between a live orchestra and 5cm speaker as far as audio quality goes, so I can't try them out to give you a personal opinion.

The one thing I will say is that the amplifiers in most (maybe all) phones lack almost everything in the ability to handle a wide dynamic range, and the high frequency end isn't that high, so waveforms get distorted. (The difference between a great violinist and someone fiddling isn't going to be too apparent on a phone, even with the best headphones. Add to that the fact that the sampling rate on playback is probably no more than 96KHz, and you have even less quality [that gives you a pretty decent approximation up to about 10KHz, no more].)

So do all music players running on a device not really designed to produce audiophile-quality music play back the same? There are probably small differences, but you probably couldn't tell the difference between the audio fed into the phone from a turntable playing brand new vinyl and a good digital recording of the same record no matter which app you used. The amp is going to limit the quality more than the apps will. (Just imagine the quality of a pair of KT88s in a phone - never going to happen outside your imagination.)

anon9014819

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Are you saying that mobile phones can never produce quality audio playback? I mostly listen with headphones, sometimes I connect my HTC One to stereo system.