Do I need to updte all my apps?

walrus3

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
There are a lot of aps on my nexus 5 I'll never use and can't delete, apps like Google Sheets and Slides. Yesterday it said there were 18 apps needing updating. If I don't update all am I exposing myself to malware? Will updating them use up more of my memory? I do update the ones I use. Thanks

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
As you said you can't uninstall that kind of apps but you can disable them in settings - apps.

When disabling apps you have to be just a bit careful not to disable anything that your phone really needs. Things like Google sheets, music, books, movies, ... are pretty safe to disable. The Google app not so much. In some phones that's your stock launcher and disabling it could give you some nasty problems.

Once an app it's disabled it won't appear in your update list. And you can enable it back whenever you need it.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Javier, you are right most of the time. Preinstalled Apps don't always need be rooted to get removed, it depends on vendor, but it often does. I have use 6 android phones, 2 never need to be rooted to remove preinstalled ones.

What phones let you do that? By vendor you mean phone brands or carriers?

Nancy, don't get me wrong. I'm not questioning what you said, just curious, ok? Believe it or not, I like when someone tells me I'm wrong. It means that I'll learn something new and next time I give an opinion or an advice I'll be more accurate. :)

DJantel Ware

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
If I don't update all am I exposing myself to malware?
Unlikely, but not impossible. There are apps that are running in the background, expecially preinstalled ones. If they have serious security holes, they can be exploited and do some kind of harm even if you do not use them (intentionally). But as said, unlikely.

Will updating them use up more of my memory?
Heavily depends on the update. It can increase or decrease memory usage (both, RAM and disk space).

What phones let you do that?
You can uninstall all the preinstalled samsung stuff(I can on my S3). Unfortunately it is back with the next update.

DJantel Ware

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
I've never used an S3 so excuse my ignorance. How did you managed to do that without going the root way and voiding your warranty?

E.g. easy uninstaller does that for me. I am sure similar apps can do this as well. My phone (at least this one) is not rooted.
But as said, sadly samsung shoves all of it back into my face with every update.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
That's strange. This is from the Easy Uninstaller description in the Play Store.

Attachments

• 1422026482029.jpg
    1422026482029.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 9

DJantel Ware

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
But I am able to uninstall all the samsung apps. Did that to every preinstalled samsung app expect the samsung push service.
The description probably has to say that because there are obviously phones where you can not do it.

DJantel Ware

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
I tested a little bit and it seems that it depends on the app.
What is common to all of them, when I "uninstall" them they are gone when you look them up in the application manager under "installed apps", but when you go to the "all apps" tab, there are differences. I know I uninstalled ChatOn, and it is gone from my home screen and it is gone from the installed apps section, but it really is still present in the "all apps" section of the application manager.

I found a remaining samsung app, samsungs "Music Hub". I uninstalled it, and it was gone completley, even from the "all apps" section.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay