Opera mini browser

Blahzee#AC

May 18, 2010
Visit site
how come on opera i cant watch any flash videos, on this website i go to the videos dont show up only pictures? they work on the dolphin browser but i have to click on the little green arrow.

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Opera doesn't download directly from the web to your phone. It goes thru their proxies, which compress the data and encrypt it before sending it to your phone.

What you are viewing on the handset is more of an image of the website than the source website itself. Opera almost "photocopies" the website at their server and sends you the picture.

This does several things:

1) It allows an encrypted socket connection to their servers for web viewing. Your phone company's deep-packet-inspection software has no idea what you are viewing or doing. This is useful if you are using an employer-provided phone and they are in cahoots with the cellphone company to spy on you. Or if you are worried that anyone else is in cahoots with the phone company to spy on you. Or if the phone company is spying on you. This only works if you select "socket" connections in settings.

2) It eats way less of your data plan.

3) It's fast.

The downside of this is no plug-ins. Since it's not sending raw HTML data, there's nothing for plug-ins to interpret and display.

Opera will download embedded data like picture, sound or movie files and save them locally or open an external program to display them. Most of the time, though, it opens the default browser to display anything like that, which defeats the purpose of the encrypted socket connection in the first place. It will launch the standalone youtube viewer to open compatible videos. It only works if your carrier enabled the JSR spec to allow local downloads.

Opera also synchronizes bookmarks between desktop and handheld, which is really useful if you use the desktop version. I use it as an RSS reader, too.

There's a nice picture of how this works on their website:

Opera Mini & Opera Mobile browsers

--Qfg

Reactions: Blahzee#AC