DOLPHIN browser VS ANDROID browser?!?

ali.fazal

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Alright, so I have a Droid running 2.01 and I'm torn between the two browsers.

While Dolphin has multitouch and cooler tabbed/windowed browsing, it also takes away double tap to zoom.

Android browser also has better visual bookmarking IMO. Additionally, there is NO WAY to make the 'start page' the default when opening the browser. You have to go to a webpage, press menu, then press 'start page'-- too many extra steps.

And lastly, the ads on Dolphin are tacky and annoying. I'd gladly shell out a few bucks for an ad-free version.

What does everyone think? Has anyone done a speed test between the two? Which runs faster? Which one is just better?

Last edited:

Magnious

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Dolphin actually corrupted my phone. I guess they fixed the issue, but I am not turning back. I think the Android Browser works perfectly fine. I will think of switching browsers again when Firefox comes out with their Mobile Android Version. It will also have "Multi-touch", or so I've heard.

pbrennan42

Dec 17, 2009
www.philipbrennan.net
I got Dolphin within hours of getting my Android (which is affectionately known as Kryten on bluetooth) and have not looked back since.

It is the only Android browser I have found so far that can handle Google Wave without crashing out all the time (it just crashes out of Google Wave some of the time).

The only thing it needs work on is speed.

I am not too keen on gestures though. Hardly use them.

Now when Google Chrome Browser comes out for Android I am making the switch.

Phil.

CyD13

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Much like Phil, I used the Dolphin browser within the first few days of owning my Droid. Haven't looked back.

Bako

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, the lack of pinch-to-zoom on the Droid is one of the things that really bothers me about it, since the hardware allows it and the European version has it implemented. I wish Verizon or Motorola or whomever's responsible would just give it up. Until then, there's Dolphin, which helps a little, and I actually like that the double-tap function is to hide/display the tab bar. I just wish it was a bit more efficient with space; when the tab bar is visible, it's hugely fat. Unnecessary. But I have it set to auto-hide when a page loads, so it's not a big deal for me.

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I use the Dolphin browser for a couple of reasons: tabs and button scrolling.

I rarely touch the screen and prefer to center a column and use the side buttons to scroll.

The onscreen keyboard behavior is pretty bad though. Often the text field is obscured when in portrait. Also there doesn't appear to be a warp to bottom gesture. I view forums with 100 posts per page and that's a lot of scrolling.

cgdoc519

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Good question....I think it has something to do with apple and there patent...probably scared to natively support it. Leave the risk to third party devs.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
How do I manually make my Android browser the default after Dolphin was the default? I'd like to give both a good try-out, but I can't make the Android browser the default again and so it keeps going back to Dolphin to complete links, etc.

Flyguide83

Nov 16, 2009
www.northwestfrontier.com
How do I manually make my Android browser the default after Dolphin was the default? I'd like to give both a good try-out, but I can't make the Android browser the default again and so it keeps going back to Dolphin to complete links, etc.

Go to settings apps, manage apps, dolphin browser, reset defalts..

Like others, I have used Dolphin sense the first week and love it.. Mostly for tabbed browsing and button scrolling though.. I rarely use pinch zoom... Though it is a neat feature when you need it.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Go to settings apps, manage apps, dolphin browser, reset defalts..

Like others, I have used Dolphin sense the first week and love it.. Mostly for tabbed browsing and button scrolling though.. I rarely use pinch zoom... Though it is a neat feature when you need it.

Thanks, Flyguide. I'll give that a shot. Will it wipe out my favorites or password/cookie information information, or just reset basic settings?

I like the Dolphin browser itself, but am not real happy with the menu options in terms of accessing the address bar and the bookmarks and such. The gestures are nice, but don't always work, even when I make it very simple. I like the Android menu better, so I wanted to give it another shot.

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
The way Dolphin keeps separate bookmarks bugs me a bit.

I do have a pretty good browsing pattern with it. I use the + to view a new page, or I close the last tab and get the same thing. I use the long touch to view links on a new tab. I rarely use the menu.

Within a page I tap a paragraph to center the column, then use volume up/down to page.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae