Stargazing app query

Francois1988

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a quick question about stargazing apps. I have used StarTracker since my BlackBerry Z10 days. It is a wonderful app that was always more or less completely accurate (though at times I must aim slightly lo to the left of any star or planet). It has gotten worse on my Sony Z2. I also then downloaded "Google Sky Map" and "Star Chart". Both wonderful in their own ways. But I noticed that I need to be more and more to the left of something to have it centred on the screen.

I am curious as I know nothing of these apps. Do they use the phone's internal GPS or something? Or do they link up to satellites in the sky?
Not sure whether this helps, but I live in Cape Town in South Africa.

Is there a way I can fix it to make it more accurate again?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Those apps will use whatever your Location Service is set to. High Accuracy (which uses GPS along with mobile data/wi-fi signal) is most accurate, but if you have the phone set to Battery Saving (which only uses mobile data/wi-fi signal), you might be off by several hundred feet to even a mile or so, depending on where you are.

They also use the phone's compass and accelerometer to figure out which way the phone is facing. If you have a case on the phone, there might be a small magnet embedded in it (which might be used to keep a cover closed, or to trigger the smartcover feature). This magnet might interfere with the compass, so try using it without the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC