Bloat Freezer - Freeze your Preinstalled System Apps

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Added support to also freeze regular apps instead of just system apps. Update will be in the market as soon as it makes it through testing.

Only an hour left for the $0.99 SALE!

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Anyone with a Desire HD, or even a Desire (or any of its variants, such as the Bravo) want to help me solve a issue?

snppr22

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Is there a full list of all the apps and what not that can be frozen safely? Specifically for the DROID X... I am running GB.

JUnder

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Is there a full list of all the apps and what not that can be frozen safely? Specifically for the DROID X... I am running GB.

I second this...Just rooted today...testing with what can be frozen and what not, but wanted to see what to avoid freezing

Rooted with super one click 1.7

snppr22

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I think that freezing Messaging and Messages might cause you to receive double texts, although I am not sure. I never really had an issue until I froze them, but it didnt happen until days later.

JUnder

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, havent messed with that much. After root, did download task manager to see what was using battery, and running in background. Froze some of those apps...and then everything was force closing. Unfroze those, and starting from scratch now, slow but sure

snppr22

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Here is my list of frozen apps (no problems to report, as of now):

Amazon Kindle
Amazon MP3
Amazon MP3 (not sure why I have two of them)
Backup Assistant
Backup Assistant Client
Books
City ID
DLNA
Email
Email Authenticator
Email Engine
FM Radio
Media Share
Messages (not Messaging)
News
News & Weather
Quickoffice (not Quickoffice Pro)
Skype mobile
Social Messaging
Social Networking
Social Status
Sticky note
Sync Service
Voicemail
VZ Navigator
Weather

Any other apps that can be frozen? I'd love to know.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately the list is different for each phone. You just have to be careful not to freeze anything that will keep your phone from booting up.

A good rule of thumb, if you don't know 100% what it is, don't freeze it.

JUnder

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a few frozen...going to test today and see what else i can freeze and not hurt anything...are there any major ones i dont want to freeze on the droid x?

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Anybody know if I freeze Social Networking and Social Messaging if Facebook app will still work? Not sure if they are tied in or not. So those are two I have not frozen yet.

Captain Niko

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Seems like a really interesting app. Not to hot about havin to root to use it though. I'm sure I can manage to root fine but Im kind of avoiding it at the moment.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Anybody know if I freeze Social Networking and Social Messaging if Facebook app will still work? Not sure if they are tied in or not. So those are two I have not frozen yet.

Give it a shot, the beauty of freezing is you can defrost if it doesnt work ;)

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Is there a quick unfreeze that will unfreeze all of your frozen apps at the same time? In the event of an OTA update coming out, it would be nice to just do a "one-click" thing instead of spending several minutes scrolling, tapping, scrolling, tapping...

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Is there a quick unfreeze that will unfreeze all of your frozen apps at the same time? In the event of an OTA update coming out, it would be nice to just do a "one-click" thing instead of spending several minutes scrolling, tapping, scrolling, tapping...

Menu -> Defrost All
:)

DesolationRobot

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
So, I may have frozen something bad that borked the google apps. My gMail still syncs, but FCs if I have any new mail. (The new mail is successfully there when I reopen the app.) However, one of the the things broken is Market downloading, which means I can't get the update, which means I'm stuck in the death-spiral of the latest bug that requires the update to open the app.

Help, please. If there was a way to 1) unfreeze all with another app or 2) sideload the update so I can unfreeze stuff the old fashioned way I would be ecstatic.

Thanks for reading these forums and staying on top of things. Says a lot.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So, I may have frozen something bad that borked the google apps. My gMail still syncs, but FCs if I have any new mail. (The new mail is successfully there when I reopen the app.) However, one of the the things broken is Market downloading, which means I can't get the update, which means I'm stuck in the death-spiral of the latest bug that requires the update to open the app.

Help, please. If there was a way to 1) unfreeze all with another app or 2) sideload the update so I can unfreeze stuff the old fashioned way I would be ecstatic.

Thanks for reading these forums and staying on top of things. Says a lot.

Shoot me an email, BloatFreezer-gmail.com, and I'll get it all taken care of for you.

Jerm#AC

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I am looking for a clarification point here. There is a lot of talk on this thread and on moving/deleting apps thread about not being able to receive OTA updates if you move/delete system apps. With this, you say just defrost them (which makes perfect sense) but do you have to unroot too? Or will the OTA updates still work while rooted?

thanks

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I am looking for a clarification point here. There is a lot of talk on this thread and on moving/deleting apps thread about not being able to receive OTA updates if you move/delete system apps. With this, you say just defrost them (which makes perfect sense) but do you have to unroot too? Or will the OTA updates still work while rooted?

thanks

Normally no, the reason that the OTAs fail, is because the carriers put checks in the OTA that tell it to check for the system apps, if they arent there, it fails. They could just as easily put in a check for the superuser.apk, but I have never heard of this happening. OTA updates will nearly ALWAYS unroot your phone anyways, so then you just root your phone again after the update.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
When the Froyo OTA came out, I was rooted and received it just fine. The only problem was that after the update I was no longer rooted and needed to re-root. I just used Z4root and was good to go.