Making calls and SMS from your computer

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
hey guys,

I was wondering if there was an app that allowed you to use SMS and phone-calling from your laptop

I'm NOT looking for a way to save minutes or anything like that. its perfectly fine if it uses my own minutes/texts and its kinda important that its sent from my number.

essentially, i want a better interface for me to make communications from my phone. I want a real keyboard to use for SMS and i don't want to constantly switch my headphones from my laptop to my phone just to receive phone calls.

also, i must have all the functionality that i would have from the phone. I MUST be able to send calls/SMS to people who did not contact me first. having reply-only functionality DOES NOT cut it.

ps, i don't have an android phone atm, but i'm looking into it, and having this functionality would be a big push for me to get such a phone.

pss, while i have our attention, does anybody know of an android email app that defaults to showing 'unread messages'(think windows phone 7's email client).

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Generic_User_2.
Welcome to the forums.

I believe there are apps for those features available in the Android market that you may find. However, you will need to get an Android phone pretty soon to be a able to get those applications.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the welcome guys,

IRT to rushrl

any particular reason i need to get those soon? I was actually planning on waiting for the motorola atrix 4g. its coming to at&t in march and i'm hoping it won't be that much longer before it reaches bell in canada.

IRT to wyveryx

I'm actually in canada and i don't believe GV is available yet. correct me if i'm wrong(you don't know how badly i want to be wrong :) ). thanks for the tip anyways.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually in canada and i don't believe GV is available yet. correct me if i'm wrong(you don't know how badly i want to be wrong :) ). thanks for the tip anyways.
AFAIK you're correct. I use GV for this but I am in the US.

pss, while i have our attention, does anybody know of an android email app that defaults to showing 'unread messages'(think windows phone 7's email client).
Touchdown does but it's only for Exchange.

Ramathorn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Generic_User_2.
Welcome to the forums.

I believe there are apps for those features available in the Android market that you may find. However, you will need to get an Android phone pretty soon to be a able to get those applications.

Could you elaborate, please? I searched the market and was unable to find an app that lets me send/receive my texts via my computer. I do have GV, but I am not asking all my contacts to switch my numbers. Thanks. :)

Doc

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Gmail has an add on through Google Labs called "SMS (text messaging) in Chat which allows you to SMS from your computer. It does not do phone calls but it gives you half of what you wanted.

Doc

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I am looking for something similar as well.... I am looking for a computer application that runs on Windows 7, that will allow me to TXT & SMS to any mobile phone on any carrier... Regardless if they have Google voice or not.

Does anyone have any suggestions... Or recommendations...?... thanks for any help you can provide..

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Gmail has an add on through Google Labs called "SMS (text messaging) in Chat which allows you to SMS from your computer. It does not do phone calls but it gives you half of what you wanted.

Doc

thanks doc,

but i'm in canada and it doesn't work with me :(

also, i'm asking because i'm looking at the webtop offered with the atrix*. if i can't find anyway to get this functionality, then i'll just get it. it's just better if i could get something to work across all my computers

*if i'm just confused and it DOESN'T work like the way i think it does, then if someone could please tell me now, that would be great, lol.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz