Google Play Music Blocking My "Thumbs Up" Playlist

vincentallen2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys

So I had to leave android for 2 months due to my Nexus 4 falling in some water (R.I.P. Nexxy). I just bought this ZTE ZMAX from MetroPCS, and I love it!

HOOOOWEVER, I noticed that GP Music received an update while I was gone from the android scene. The layout is different now. Plus, when I try to play music from my Thumbs Up playlist, is telling me that I have to subscribe just to play the music that I uploaded!

It looks like 80% of my music is Greyed out and unplayable, and only few selected songs will play. Those that do play, however, have been replaced with an edited version that I didn't upload.

If. I Uninstall the update and use the factory gp music pre-installed app, my music is playable but some of my music is still replaced with a edited version.

So my question is: what gives yo!?!? (90's hip hop voice). Is there a solution or a reason to all this? I'll attach a pic of what I'm talking about. Any helo would be appreciated.

796ea3225a14c38f307b49212e5bda92.jpg

Sent from my ZTE ZMAX

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you open Google Play Music and swipe in from the left, do you see the correct Google account at the top of the menu? Also, is Downloaded Only turned on or off?

vincentallen2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
When you open Google Play Music and swipe in from the left, do you see the correct Google account at the top of the menu? Also, is Downloaded Only turned on or off?
Thanks for replying back

Yup, its my personal Google account. I only have one account on my phone. Download only is turned off since I downloaded any playlist yet. I actually wanted to see if i could live with just streaming all my personal music with MetroPCS's unlimited data ($60 plan)

Here's 2 more pics

5e07d7b040c6e633a1597620d705ad97.jpg

6a9a08f271a44922300259b677b6358e.jpg

Sent from my ZTE ZMAX

brinox

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I was driving home today and noticed this as well. I can't figure out why this is happening, but its ONLY on the thumbs up auto playlist, and ONLY on my Nexus 5. I have a LOT of the same tracks available on the Last Added auto playlist, and those work fine. WTF?!

vincentallen2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Weird. Try contacting the support people for Google Play: https://support.google.com/googleplay/?hl=en#topic=3364260. Click on the Contact Us button at the upper right.
Thanks for the link. I called yesterday, and the support representative only instructed on how to clear the apps data and cache, then Uninstall updates and reinstall the update (simple things we already know how to do)

Unfortunately, these couldn't steps couldn't help resolve my problem.
I was driving home today and noticed this as well. I can't figure out why this is happening, but its ONLY on the thumbs up auto playlist, and ONLY on my Nexus 5. I have a LOT of the same tracks available on the Last Added auto playlist, and those work fine. WTF?!
I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue. I too only use the thumbs-up playlist

Sent from my ZTE ZMAX

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
same problem here. i just noticed it since i have over 2000 songs on the thumbs up but keep hearing the same songs. I tried everything they suggested for you to do too and no luck. All of those songs that are grayed out are still in my library however if i search for them or go to the album. so i dont understand why the playlist wont recognize them. in fact, if you don't actually open the thumbs up playlist but rather use the three dots and tell it to shuffle some of the same songs that were grayed out will now play. (sorry for the run-on sentence.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing that same "Subscribe to Play Any Song or Album" as well, but unlike you guys, none of my songs on my Thumbs Up playlist are greyed out. So I think the "Subscribe" message is just a bit of advertising on Google's part to try to get you to sign up for the All Access plan, and doesn't have anything specific to do with the issue you're facing.

Go to the Play Music app settings, and make sure "Stream via Wi-Fi only" isn't checked on (if this is only happening on mobile data).

If that doesn't work, then go to Settings>Apps>All, select Google Play Music, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. When you open it again and let it sign in, does your playlist look normal now?

Also, in the Play Music app's settings, go to My Devices--are you sure you haven't gone over the 10 device limit?

mattcrafty

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I think I figured this out! I ran into the same issue after listening to the Google Music Radio and pressing Thumbs Up on a song.

It seems this converts your "Thumbs Up" playlist into a combination Cloud/Owned music and Radio playlist. It then won't let you play a random selection of songs on-demand, assuming that you've got a playlist of Radio songs thumbs'ed up. Which I guess makes sense in a way, but this is not how I use GPM.

I fixed the issue by scanning through my 1000+ song Thumbs Up playlist on the Desktop version of Google Play Music and removing any tracks that said "Buy" or "Preview" next to them, or were grayed out. Make sure you un-thumbs up them! Once I reloaded the page, the "Subscribe to Play" banner was gone!

Zakk Roberts

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for the tip mattcrafty! It didn't entirely fix my problem at first (specifically, I was still having issues with grayed out songs in-app, even after removing all tracks with "buy"), but it was such a good starting point that after a little more playing around I was able to solve the problem.

I wrote about what worked for me in a reddit post, in case it might help anyone still experiencing this issue: reddit.com/r/google/comments/3dmyhm/thumbs_up_playlist_wont_let_me_play_music_i_own/ctf7w87

vincentallen2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if you guys got the update, but the newest one fixes this problem. Those calls and emails to Google really did get escalate to advanced technicians like promised. I took a screenshot of the update 2 days ago.

Thank you guys for all your help

Problem solved by Google :D

f3ae9d6c48fff454cdde4c7af701da36.jpg

Sent from my ZTE ZMAX

anon(9542915)

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
I found the fix to this problem. I was going through my thumbs up playlist and cleared out all of them. I noticed that on my phone that about 15 songs were still on my thumbs up playlist grayed out. When I clicked on the song it would ask me to try the radio. So, I picked a few songs that were greyed out and went and clicked on the actual song then clicked thumbs up. I went back to the thumbs up playlist, the songs I recently added were there non gray, then clicked on the song. I let the song start, then unclicked the thumbs up button. It cycled though all 15 songs that were grayed. Unclicked the thumbs up botton on all and they were gone. I have to say on my computer on chrome, the thumbs up playlist was empty. On my phone on non downloaded only they grayed songs were on the playlist. I tried clearing the cache, and refreshing music on computer and phone..Also, synced all my google before this and nothing worked. I hope this helps. All grayed music is gone from my thumbs up playlist now...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek