google maps problem

Centro85#AC

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else notice a problem in google maps since the 3d/compass update? Everytime I search for something it goes crazy. It doesn't sort them by closest distance anymore, they are all scattered. First might be 3 miles, than 10, than 4 etc etc. Also, the distance never seems right. If I pick something that search lists as 4 miles away, and hit navigate, the final distance in the navigate portion of the app will say 7.4 or something farther than it originally stated. I can't quite seem to get it to act right. Im currently living in St Louis for work for 2 months, I live 1000 miles away normally. Google maps has failed me WAAAY too many times so far. Im almost wishing I was back on sprint, even with the bs customer service and billing problems, just to have working gps.

Device is a Droid 2 (regular, not r2d2 or global), stock rom but also did it with apex. Not rooted anymore, did it while rooted as well. Tried uninstalling update and reinstalling, didn't help. Good cell service, gps says it locks okay.

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the 4mile vs 7.4miles, my guess is that 4miles is the straight line distance (easy to compute) and 7.4miles is road distance (requires a more intensive computation and thus done only when computing driving directions).

As for the sorting order, possibly they use also some metric of relevance, not just distance (e.g. rating, number of reviews, etc).

Centro85#AC

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Regarding the 4mile vs 7.4miles, my guess is that 4miles is the straight line distance (easy to compute) and 7.4miles is road distance (requires a more intensive computation and thus done only when computing driving directions).

As for the sorting order, possibly they use also some metric of relevance, not just distance (e.g. rating, number of reviews, etc).

Never did that before. Also showed the closest results first.

kamtsa

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Never did that before. Also showed the closest results first.

This version may have different sorting order. Instead of simple sorting by straight line distance, a more fancy metric that estimates the relevance.

That is, the first item is not necessarily the closest one but the one the one with highest probability to be the most useful for you.

For example, if you search for 'gas', the algorithm may prefer a gas station 2 miles away over a propane gas tank exchange business 1 mile away.

Centro85#AC

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I see what your saying, but I don't think thats what it is doing. Might be, I dunno. But, if I search for.. say...Walmart. Or Car Wash. It will list one 4.2 on top, than 10.6, than 1.2, then 3.6 etc etc with seamingly no ryhme or reason. Cant find any way to change the search filter either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol